Hang in there H!
; )

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:17 am

Post Re: It's just a ride ...
Nice :)

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:45 pm
Site Admin

I took another ride today and snapped a few more pictures.

Click here to see them.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:21 am
Site Admin

Jumped on the bike to check out the unusual light at dusk. It was an amazing sight, but I had forgot the camera! Zoomed back home to get it, and then zoomed back up the hill to take the shot. It wasn't as good as five minutes earlier, but still not bad.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:32 am
Site Admin

I had to drive out to the airport yesterday, and I pulled off the road to take this picture.

This is a picture of the essentials of life -- air, water, and food. There's a lot of air, only a little water, and hardly any food. We depend on all three to live, as does every other living thing on the planet.

We are poisoning all three at an accelerating rate.

In the past, we poisoned them for short time scales that were easily reversed. Now we are poisoning them for very long time scales that could be considered irreversible. For example, the primary components of the continuously leaking Fukushima radiation are Caesium-137 and Strontium-90. With half-lives of around 30 years, these biologically active poisons will stick around in the environment for some 450 years (about 15 half-lives), even if we manage to stop them today, which we apparently can't. Even though 450 years is not exactly permanent, the genetic effects probably will be.

Even worse is the depleted uranium we use with wild abandon for armor-piercing munitions in our endless wars. With a half-life of 4.5 billion years, the resulting depleted uranium dust will remain in the environment for 67 billion years. Considering that the age of our planet is the same as the half-life of depleted uranium, that could be considered permanent. And unlike the three Fukushima melt-downs that spew radiation continuously, we could stop the release of depleted uranium into our environment today, if we were smart.

But we're not smart.

Unfit species go extinct. Guess where we're heading? Unfortunately, we may take nearly the entire planetary ecosystem with us, including the millions of other species we share the planet with.

That would make Homo sapiens the greatest traitor to the concept of life that this planet has seen in all of recorded history.

Is that our legacy?

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Chico, did you withdraw all of your money from the bank? Is it lonely out there? Do your neighbors "know" about you?

Half kidding. But anyway, superb post and the pictures and story are cool to see.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:23 pm
Site Admin

No, no, and some do. Money will quickly become worthless (like Continental dollars or Confederate dollars), so it won't matter where you keep it.

It's the old Chinese curse -- "May you live in interesting times."

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Here is my band Horseskull playing this past weekend in Chesapeake, VA USA.
Im the drummer....

Horseskull 29:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPe1RvKytOU

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:26 am

I hope I don't get accused of being elitist for coming to the defense of my cochlear stalls, but weren't we born with senses to carve order out of chaos?

Music is an order extracted from chaos. Chaos extracted from order has its own name, I think, e.g. noise.

Musical instruments are beautiful things to hold. Even just holding them, the band would have been better off, IMO. You guys would look cool with air guitars and air drums (tho' your drum playing was not all that bad, if truth be told).

What's with the head shakes? If you guys want your heads off that badly, there are more efficient ways to be found. Try Madame Tussaud's. I thinking they have a working guillotine in there.

Anyhow, I think we can safely say that the mystery of beaching whales has been solved. You pick your next venue, and I'll predict the next whaling beach.

:jest:

All in fun, Mags. Even on your worst day, you still make better noise on the drums than I make on my guitar.

Pax Symphonica Sonica Cacophonica

Flight that sends into the clouds brings wings to rest upon the boughs. Then further down to the liquid lawn, to serve as sentries for the gliding swan. Curve, a perfect turning of the line between here and Heaven, with extensions into infinitum.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:29 pm

:D
Perhaps its a new form of Radar? Like our leaders, I dont have time to ensure its safe application.

Hari Kare is a volunteered ambition to save face in the afterlife. I am not responsible for the choices people can make. :D

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3