Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The Curse of the Withholding Tax 
Site Admin

Post Re: The Curse of the Withholding Tax
That statement doesn't address the "taxation" on that small single income, but I assure you, that small single income is not heavily taxed. If at all.

Though it is not a "heavy" tax, inflation is a hidden tax that whittles away the value of the money you earn and spend. As I mentioned above, inflation caused the current dollar to end up as valuable as a 1913 penny. If we get into hyperinflation, which is historically the inevitable end result of criminal monetary policy, inflation will become the heaviest tax we've ever seen.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:34 am

Hi Mouse,
Sorry you had to go through that. It stinks. Was it possible to seek medical care and file workers comp? Years ago it was very easy to do so. You just had to walk into doctor's office and say you were hurt on the job and everything was covered. I went to chiropractor a few times this past month too, I paid out of pocket. He's a really cool guy. I asked him about comp and he said no, it's just not worth it.
He only charges me $40. He went on to tell me that the guberment is cracking down on Medicare claims-going after many doctors, making it very difficult to treat their patients. He is strongly considering closing his practice. Sad.

Right now, options are few and far between. There are no jobs. I have friends in the same boat. So we take what we can get. It's easy to say just get out of the system, but without the means not so easy to do. My $ goes to basic needs only, roof, food, etc.
My boss is on the edge right now and may crash and burn. If that happens, I can take over the business with a little help from my friends. I have a great relationship with the landlord who will help me any way he can. We shall see.

As far as tax goes, I have to pay again on my little earnings. :crybabe:

Feel better Mouse and hang in there.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:14 am

Oh Yeah! wrote:
Hi Mouse,
Sorry you had to go through that. It stinks. Was it possible to seek medical care and file workers comp? Years ago it was very easy to do so. You just had to walk into doctor's office and say you were hurt on the job and everything was covered. I went to chiropractor a few times this past month too, I paid out of pocket. He's a really cool guy. I asked him about comp and he said no, it's just not worth it.
He only charges me $40. He went on to tell me that the guberment is cracking down on Medicare claims-going after many doctors, making it very difficult to treat their patients. He is strongly considering closing his practice. Sad.

Right now, options are few and far between. There are no jobs. I have friends in the same boat. So we take what we can get. It's easy to say just get out of the system, but without the means not so easy to do. My $ goes to basic needs only, roof, food, etc.
My boss is on the edge right now and may crash and burn. If that happens, I can take over the business with a little help from my friends. I have a great relationship with the landlord who will help me any way he can. We shall see.

As far as tax goes, I have to pay again on my little earnings. :crybabe:

Feel better Mouse and hang in there.

I certainly understand about options, Oh Yeah. We do the best we can with the circumstances in front of us.

My chiro charges $45 per session, but try as he might, he could not fix this injury and he tried for months. So I'm going through the medical system now, one step at a time. My current GP has been here 8 months, from South Africa. Said that the political problems and the violence there just got too bad, and he and his family fled.

As far as the Worker's Comp? I have done my best to stay on the edge of the "system" O.Y. I can go after worker's compensation, I suppose, but frankly, that route is the least appealing of my options if you're me. I'd almost rather starve, you understand? That won't happen any time soon. I have a freezer full of food, which is where all my money goes, other than paying the household bills, and gas etc. We'll be quite all right until I get mobile again.

I have some ideas for self-employment again, right on the edge of grid, and I have very good friends, one who recently sent us a kick-ass computer which wasn't being used. Another who helps in so many ways. Including moral support and a shoulder to cry on. The human beings I know are very few but they are to a one beautiful and generous and they speak my language fluently. Therefore I am always myself. Such a blessing not to be forced to don masks.

I do understand that without the means to flee, here we are at United People Forum, all having these discussions. The bumper sticker "Life's a bitch, then you die" comes to mind but despite the lack of monetary funds, this small community at UP seems to be full of intelligent beings all managing to make ends meet in the real world. My family doesn't need me to earn much money to survive. Certain life skills are essential when you're me, and I have acquired them over the years.

If your boss crashes and burns, is this business still viable O.Y.?

This is a good thread at an opportune time: Tax season is over. Someone may want to look into "tiny houses". Building shelters with pallets, and shipping containers.

Sincerely,

Mouse

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Quote:

I've been here 2 years, I run the place. He won't allow me to do what I really want to do to increase business. I feel I can double it. I know and understand all the aspects and what the potential is. Small overhead, small investment can easily turn this place around.

We shall see.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:32 pm

What's your line of business?

Oh Yeah! wrote:
Quote:

I've been here 2 years, I run the place. He won't allow me to do what I really want to do to increase business. I feel I can double it. I know and understand all the aspects and what the potential is. Small overhead, small investment can easily turn this place around.

We shall see.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Oh Yeah! wrote:
Quote:
I always work for myself.

In the past, I worked for myself. I was happy then. (still happy now only less so)
Then I entered the job market which was a huge wake up call. The corruption was overwhelming to stifle my energy, my common sense, my ideas, my good intentions, my creativity, and my skills.
My hope is that soon I will be able to work for myself once again.

Quote:
BINGO!!! exactly.

And....We now need two wage earners to support a household instead of one. Combine that info with chico's statement about taxation and things look very conspiritorial.

In the city or the burbs, to afford a mortgage, 2 vehicles to commute to work, the boat, the vacations and the booze, yes it does take 2 working parents to raise a family, D.

However? One parent in a small town can work at a blue collar job and the other parent can stay at home to care for the offspring if that parent chooses to do so. It's more than possible. Even a single parent can get by, on a very small income, if that single parent doesn't buy into the bill of goods which we've been "sold".

That statement doesn't address the "taxation" on that small single income, but I assure you, that small single income is not heavily taxed. If at all. I'll let you know shortly.

What IS heavily taxed is all the PRODUCTS people consume and purchase, over and above the groceries which are necessary to survive. Property is taxed. Our heating fuel and electricity is taxed. Our internet and cable is taxed. Our phone and phone charges are taxed. The gas to go to and from work is taxed, restaurant food is taxed, our vehicles and licenses are taxed, our clothing and children's clothing is taxed, diapers are taxed, condoms are taxed, and birth control pills and medications are all taxed.

Not to mention female sanitary napkins and tampons. Which are a necessity. Not a luxury.

I could go on, but you are all familiar with the "tax game" and the "tax man", wherever it is you reside.

It's a struggle until and unless you get off that hamster wheel, off grid and out of that "system".

Mouse

I would like to address this post and CHico's

Mouse you and Chico are both correct: You can trim away a lot of non essentials and inflation is a silent tax of sorts. I sort of try to live applying both of these principles. Firstly we live very simply and I try to not deal with a lot of dollars. I tend to work with things like property which have utility.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:56 pm
Site Admin

I just sent my taxes in. I was able to limit my income enough so that I paid no federal income tax and no state income tax for 2011. Of course, the current economic collapse helped a great deal, as there was much less available paid work this past year. Nevertheless, I stayed busy, and this forum is one result of that volunteer work.

The federal government did receive $274 from me in self-employment tax. In the United States, every self-employed individual is forced to participate in the Social Security "retirement" program, whether we want to or not, and the choice was made for us before we were born. This program is headed for bankruptcy, and the government knows it, so they do what they've always done -- they borrow money from the privately owned Federal Reserve, which they have to pay back with interest. The Federal Reserve creates the money they lend out of thin air, which makes you wonder why we need them and why we pay interest. The end result is that the supply of money is expanding exponentially causing inflation and rising prices, both of which will also expand exponentially.

What does it all mean? It's a con-game, and it will very likely end in disaster. Soon. And all that work I did to contribute to my retirement will have been for nothing -- for me, anyway. All of that work did contribute to enrich the Masters that live in luxury at our expense. In other words, the parasites are fat and happy.

That's how con-games work.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Quote:

I manage a flower shop. Not to be confused with other types coughcoughkenzocoughcough. :giggle:
How do I keep a long story short? I was an art major and got a job in a flower shop many moons ago.
I learned from the best. Back in the day, My bosses wore jackets and ties. I was an apprentice. I learned everything from the inside out. After 10 years I went out on my own. We invested $30,000 way back then. $15,000 borrowed from family was paid back the first year. Back in the 90's things began to change. I saw it all coming. I had to compete with local supermarkets, big boxes, 1800 flowers (etc) and growing expenses. My piece of the pie got smaller and smaller. With the onset of debit cards, I saw the cash disappear. I knew back in the 90's we were becoming a cashless society. Just by observing and connecting dots. Eventually, I decided to liquidate and move on.

What I learned was a true rude awakening. I got a good job elsewhere. Little did I know they were whackos. I moved on to "free lance" for some big names. After getting burned out, I changed direction. Taking my design skills towards interiors. Again I worked for some big companies and big names. It was horrible. I am strong and enthusiastic, excellent references etc. Little good that did me. "They" just want to squelch talent and enthusiasm. "Be a joiner" I was told by a "Big Boss". Ha!!!!!!!!! I was laughing inside. He doesn't know me, I thought while I smiled through my interview.

I always worked for the best interest of my clients. I was honest and forthcoming. It helped me be successful because they trusted me. A few years ago I lost my job with a local designer because she wouldn't listen to me. I brought in $ and clients. She decided to hire a youngin with a degree in marketing, and get rid of me. She is no longer in business. Karma?

So I was unemployed for 2 years. (in my boredom I found PC) My son came back home, we shared expenses. One hand washes the other. We did OK. I must have responded to 100 ads, some jobs should have been eager to have me. No such luck. I was happy to take the job I have now with a steady paycheck. Mind you, I am now working for 1/2 of what i used to make.

My boss is an asshole of the first degree. A real moron. I have to bite my tongue often. He's an electrician and the only reason he took the place is because Landlord's daughter had a flower business previous and out of "honor" want's to keep it. It's a stipulation in the lease. My boss rented the place because he needed a place to park his truck and with absolutely no business plan, experience or knowledge thought he could just "hire" someone to make $ for him. What a maroon~~~~~~~~

So he's on the balls of his ass, many ego battles, yada yada. Landlord HATES him and wants him OUT. There was a lawsuit. Maroon payed through the nose. So now we come down to the wire. Boss is running out of income, Taxman is after him BIGTIME. He may just FAIL. We shall see.

Thanks for the vent. Phew!

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:35 pm

Oh Yeah! wrote:
Quote:

I manage a flower shop. Not to be confused with other types coughcoughkenzocoughcough. :giggle:
How do I keep a long story short? I was an art major and got a job in a flower shop many moons ago.
I learned from the best. Back in the day, My bosses wore jackets and ties. I was an apprentice. I learned everything from the inside out. After 10 years I went out on my own. We invested $30,000 way back then. $15,000 borrowed from family was paid back the first year. Back in the 90's things began to change. I saw it all coming. I had to compete with local supermarkets, big boxes, 1800 flowers (etc) and growing expenses. My piece of the pie got smaller and smaller. With the onset of debit cards, I saw the cash disappear. I knew back in the 90's we were becoming a cashless society. Just by observing and connecting dots. Eventually, I decided to liquidate and move on.

What I learned was a true rude awakening. I got a good job elsewhere. Little did I know they were whackos. I moved on to "free lance" for some big names. After getting burned out, I changed direction. Taking my design skills towards interiors. Again I worked for some big companies and big names. It was horrible. I am strong and enthusiastic, excellent references etc. Little good that did me. "They" just want to squelch talent and enthusiasm. "Be a joiner" I was told by a "Big Boss". Ha!!!!!!!!! I was laughing inside. He doesn't know me, I thought while I smiled through my interview.

I always worked for the best interest of my clients. I was honest and forthcoming. It helped me be successful because they trusted me. A few years ago I lost my job with a local designer because she wouldn't listen to me. I brought in $ and clients. She decided to hire a youngin with a degree in marketing, and get rid of me. She is no longer in business. Karma?

So I was unemployed for 2 years. (in my boredom I found PC) My son came back home, we shared expenses. One hand washes the other. We did OK. I must have responded to 100 ads, some jobs should have been eager to have me. No such luck. I was happy to take the job I have now with a steady paycheck. Mind you, I am now working for 1/2 of what i used to make.

My boss is an asshole of the first degree. A real moron. I have to bite my tongue often. He's an electrician and the only reason he took the place is because Landlord's daughter had a flower business previous and out of "honor" want's to keep it. It's a stipulation in the lease. My boss rented the place because he needed a place to park his truck and with absolutely no business plan, experience or knowledge thought he could just "hire" someone to make $ for him. What a maroon~~~~~~~~

So he's on the balls of his ass, many ego battles, yada yada. Landlord HATES him and wants him OUT. There was a lawsuit. Maroon payed through the nose. So now we come down to the wire. Boss is running out of income, Taxman is after him BIGTIME. He may just FAIL. We shall see.

Thanks for the vent. Phew!

I feel your pain. When you deal with these idiots and you have been succesful they don't care. Good luck, you sound similar to me and what I often have to deal with.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:25 am

Quote:
I feel your pain. When you deal with these idiots and you have been succesful they don't care. Good luck, you sound similar to me and what I often have to deal with.

You're a doll.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next