Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
The Pound is Too Strong 

Post The Pound is Too Strong
Hi Everyone,

Over the initial part of this year the British Pound strengthened against the Real and almost priced me out of the market. What was 2.60 became 3.00. That's 40 cents on each Pound, quite a chunk.

Now it seems somebody is seeing sense and discovering that the Pound is just too strong, recommending that it devalues to by between 15 - 25%. That for me would be funstastich as I'll be trading my local currency for the Pound in the not too distant future.

Now I have to keep my beady little eye on the USD as there could be some devaluing there too and I need to buy some things before the prices rise because of a weak Dollar.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-1 ... -says.html

Let's see how things pan out...

Best regards.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:51 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: The Pound is Too Strong
I wonder if currency trading is the current tulip market...

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi Chicadoodoo,

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not a professional trader nor is that my intent, my interest is just to get as much as I can for my needs towards the end of this year.

It is true though with anything that is bought and sold, even more so if they become the fashion, that bad rumours can extinguish said market in a thrice. Now, for example we have the iPod problem where Apple is fighting in the courts with a rival about patents. The shares of Apple are plummeting, when they plummet, people think twice about buying the product and so it goes.

However, that nor the tulip story are bubbles (the guy in the tulip article said it was). A bubble is when the market cannot withstand the same intesity for too long, so in the case of the internet bubble, start up companies were being bought at ludicrously high prices. It was claer that this couldn't be sustained for too long. Some people earned money in the early stages, but when the excitement lulled and people could see the wood for the trees there was no real justification for this hyper pricing of companies and so the investors cashed in their chips whilst they could, many of course burning their fingers.

The same with the mortgage bubble, which after the hype of cheap flexible interest mortgages made for just about anyone, once the 'flexible' part of the mortgage passed and the people couldn't afford the mortgage after the adjustment, everything fell like a pack of cards.

So, bubbles are caused by non sustainable actions. In the tulip case it all went to pot after a rumour. That just created a disasterous fall in prices.

What will be a safer bet this year is corn, I can't see a bubble there. I have an 8 acre farm rearing goats. Around a third of the farm I dedicate to growing corn, amongst other things. As the winter is late this year I have to buy corn to feed the animals. I know that if I buy corn gradually, it will go up and I would have to accompany the price as I buy. However if I buy the year's supply now, I have to gamble that the price of corn will rise further to sell on the market the corn that I will grow.

Corn is used to make sugars and other ingredients in foodstuffs and since last year has doubled in price! I think with the rise in fuel costs and other commodities will have to follow suit. I hope so anyway, otherwise who will all be bubbled out will be me!

Best regards.

Last edited by Grumplebum on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:50 pm

markets spring eternal Chico. AS BBum said commodities markets, invented in Japan, are designed so people can buy a large quantity at a set price. My only problem is one year I bought corn for a trade forgot about it.....well this guy in overalls shows up to my new york city apartment with ten tons of the stuff!!! said BBum had sent him to deliver my corn!!! :giggle: :giggle:

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]