Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Economic pathology 

Post Re: Economic pathology
This lovely picture is sometimes used by the faithful to illustrate a "leap of faith". It does not represent a leap of faith at all to me. For me, this picture illustrates a calculated leap. You know your jumping abilities, you know the solidity and location of both rock ledges, you know the weather conditions, and you know the accuracy of your assessment of the outcome of the jump. And of course, "know" is an approximation, as you really don't know, you simply estimate the probabilities. The ledge could give way as you push off, you could snap a tendon as you jump, you could trip or slip, your shoe could suffer catastrophic failure at a critical moment, a strong headwind could manifest as you launch, etc. Any number of things could go wrong, but experience tells you they are all very unlikely.

Then, let’s become a non-calculating fool again. :D Drop your pebble and jump. The first step is to recognize it; that it’s there. The second step is to step in “it”. This can only be done through a leap of faith. What characterizes a leap of faith is the uncertainty that goes with it. Faith cannot be proven or disproved. A leap of faith goes with 'fear’ and ‘trembling. It’s a jump into the unknown. It’s an act of believing, an intuitive knowing, without having any empirical evidence or proof at forehand. A genuine leap of faith is not a temporary and exchangeable experience. There will be a before and an after the jump. It will be deeply individual, without any guarantee of success. Now, let's listen again..

As Trungpa used to say: "Just do it! Jump and then see what happens." The bad news is that you’re falling through the air, nothing to hang on to, no parachute. The good news is there’s no ground. The idea of a spiritual warrior is based on a sense of fundamental fearlessness. There is no reason why you should be a coward or be fearfull. It’s as simple as that. You are not being a warrior because a state of war exists in your country. We are not trying to win a war. We are not trying to fight against the enemy. You are being a warrior because you are a warrior. Spiritual warriorship is a basic sense of unshakeability, untouchability, indestructability. It’s a sense of immovability and self-existing dignity rather than that you are trying to fight with something else. The world will continue to turn with or without the human species. Hope and fear don't change the seasons nor does fighting the enemy.

Another interesting quote by T. Mckenna: “Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up. This is the trick. This is what all these teachers and philosophers who really counted, who really touched the alchemical gold, this is what they understood. This is the shamanic dance in the waterfall. This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering its a feather bed.”

For goodness, watch where you’re going! As the Fool prepares to walk forward into an abyss, seemingly unaware of the danger right beneath his feet, we wish we could hold onto him with both hands, implore him to be careful, at least warn him of the peril he is in. Yet let us look again, for I cannot help but think this Fool knows exactly what he does and prepares to take a leap of faith. His loyal companion, perhaps possessing a higher perception of whether he truly faces imminent danger, is quite unconcerned. We are not alone. You are not alone.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:52 pm
Site Admin

skippy wrote:
Then, let’s become a non-calculating fool again. :D Drop your pebble and jump.

:lol: Thanks, Skippy. I know you have my best interests in heart and mind, and I appreciate your patience and effort.

I've spent a lifetime leaping. I was a gymnast, doing a lot of trampoline, and up until a few years ago, I was still leaping off the Russian Swing. During that time, I learned a few things about moving past fear and trembling, about acts of believing with no empirical evidence, about faith in my abilities. There was a time when I realized that if I could do a stunt in my head, live it from start to finish in my mind, then I could actually do it. But I also learned that there are limits, and that it doesn't always work. I learned that faith is unreliable.

Because faith is unreliable, that doesn't mean it is useless. It means you need more than just faith. You have to examine the probabilities. You must also judge the applicability of using faith in the equation. It's not a simple equation at all, and if you make it simple, then you may look like a fool if disaster results. On the other hand, if things work out favorably, you may be the next guru suggesting others do as you did.

I agree with Trungpa that all we experience is the moment, but moments remembered are the past and can affect the present, and what happens in the moment affects future present moments. I have seen leaps of faith damage lives, even end them. Richard Sauder can tell you about one such experience with a shaman in the Amazon, and how close it came to ending his life. When it comes to leaps of faith, successes are broadcast and failures are forgotten. It's not quite a balanced situation.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:32 pm

You'll never walk alone, what an unbelievable moment.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:26 pm
Site Admin

skippy wrote:
You'll never walk alone, what an unbelievable moment.

There is plenty of economic pathology in there, however. Hundreds of thousands of people spent a lot of time, effort, and money to produce and then watch a meaningless circus rather than make some useful contribution to solving the pressing problems of human civilization.

We are clearly focusing on the wrong things (as usual), and it's because we are being deceived and manipulated into doing that, all for the benefit of a rich and powerful "elite" of organized sociopaths. All of the wars we have fought in the last 100 years are just more of the same meaningless circus, directed by the same kind of people. The insanity is mind-boggling.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:48 am

Chicodoodoo, always right, somehow, somewhat. But never getting it. Not approaching it, not at the slightest.. Fear, pride? Good luck sir!

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:28 pm
Site Admin

skippy wrote:
Chicodoodoo, always right, somehow, somewhat. But never getting it. Not approaching it, not at the slightest.. Fear, pride? Good luck sir!

Chicodoodoo, the ultimate imbecile, the fool on the hill, completely clueless, never getting anything at all! Aren't we all glad we are not like him!

He will always walk alone, poor sap. :lol:

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:45 pm

He will always walk alone, poor sap. :lol:

Yes, quite ironical, and very funny indeed!

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:10 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
All of the world's biggest problems have their roots deeply embedded in the financial plague: wars are profitable, diseases are profitable, Earth's plundering is profitable, human slavery and inhumane working conditions are profitable.

Our leaders have been corrupted by money and mankind's collective mission on Earth has been hijacked by money. -- source

How many times have I said, "Money ruins everything"?

The first time I said it in this forum was over three years ago, here. Of course, I've been saying it in other forums (Nexus, Avalon) before I started this one, primarily because I realized nearly all of our problems stem from organized sociopaths controlling us, and the primary tool the sociopaths use to control us is money, which they control. By controlling the money, they control us, because we have been brainwashed (by the sociopaths) to do almost anything for money.

It's diabolical, and until we learn to refuse the money, they own us. It's no different than the Southern plantation master in the early 1800s owning the slaves that maintained his private "kingdom". He owned those slaves like they were property, instead of human beings no different than he was. Sociopaths do that kind of thing, and to their defective psychological mindset, it is perfectly natural.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:30 am
Site Admin

Capitalism is a sociopathic system, designed by sociopaths and benefiting sociopaths. Money is an important tool the ruling sociopaths use to gain power and control over others. As one of the Rothschilds supposedly pointed out, you need not fear any nation's laws if you have control over its money supply. Capitalism is all about accumulating money, i.e. power and control over others. So it will come as no surprise that sociopaths love capitalism. It's a game they can easily win. And because sociopaths are the morally insane, meaning the morally deficient, morality will be one of the first casualties of capitalism. And it has been.

Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:13 am

Jeremy Rifkin presents some valuable insights into the power of "the internet of things" to move us into the third industrial revolution and a zero marginal cost society which will/is transition~ing us through capitalism; illustrating how Germany and China are already embracing this transition.

The Third Industrial Revolution and a Zero Marginal Cost Society (Jeremy Rifkin) | DLD16

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next