The light bulb conspiracy..

The centennial light bulb is now in it's 110th year;

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Warm wishes...
Lee

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:00 am
Site Admin

Post Re: The Untold Story of Planned Obsolescence -
I love this one! So revealing of humanity's insanity ....

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:05 am

About ten years ago visited a place called "Jenolan Caves". A true wonder of nature.

Jenolan Caves are caves in the Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia; 175 kilometres west of Sydney. They are the most celebrated of several similar groups in the limestone of the country being the oldest discovered open caves in the world.[1][2] They include numerous Silurian marine fossils of great interest and the calcite formations, sometimes pure white, are of extraordinary beauty. The cave network is enormous - over 40 km of multi-level passages - still undergoing active exploration. Several kilometres of the caves have been rendered easily accessible to paying visitors and are well lit.

History lives in the Chifley Cave. It is believed to be the first cave anywhere in the world to be lit by electric light, back in 1881. Visitors get to see an example of one of the old light bulbs still in use along with a variety of coloured lights

THAT IS RIGHT FOLKS - A light bulb from 1881 still in use.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:01 am
Site Admin

Amazing caves. Amazing light bulb!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 am

This I would like to visit and see for myself! Next trip to Oz perhaps.

Warm wishess...
Lee

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:17 am
This is a wonderful film. My lightbulbs burn out so quickly it's crazy. The other day one burned out, and I still use the old ones, not LED or the fluorescent spiral kind which have mercury inside and you need Haz Mat people to come and clean your home of toxins if one ever breaks. It happened to me.

Anyway, I screwed in another regular 60 watt and it gave a little POP and burned out.

I was burned. Another light-bulb bites it.

Thanks for posting this documentary.

To expand on the planned obsolescence theme. I was on You Tube one day and found something which to me was interesting. I'm not a very techie person. I don't understand science, and there were negative comments about this experiment and the First Nations fellow who posted the video.

That made me doubly interested in attempting his experiment: recharging non-rechargeable AA or AAA alkaline batteries.

It works: I give them 1 1/2 hours, no more, and my dead "non-chargeable" batteries are now fully re-charged. I had a bag full to take to the recycling depot but now I will save them for future use.

Someone said that you pay more for the electricity to charge 4 AA batteries for 1 1/2 hours than it costs to buy them. I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone here would know.

But it really isn't the point. The point is: We've been lied to. I am charging non-rechargeable batteries safely in a rechargeable NiMH charger. No leakage. No real danger. (set your timer.)

And why would it cost ANY LESS for the electricity to recharge my expensive rechargeable ones than the cheaper AA's? My kids blow through those on a daily basis and after a few charges they seem useless except for maybe putting in a small clock or something.

So here's the video.

And if you don't believe him? Here's a pretty funny British guy doing the very same experiment.

They're lying to us.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:42 am
Site Admin

Strenia wrote:
The other day one burned out, and I still use the old ones, not LED or the fluorescent spiral kind which have mercury inside and you need Haz Mat people to come and clean your home of toxins if one ever breaks.

It happened to me a few weeks ago when I pulled a small lamp off the shelve by accident. I cleaned it up like I would any other broken light bulb. :shock:

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. If you see Chico acting a little strange, it's the light bulb.

P.S. Thanks for the recharging info, Strenia. I'm going to try this out.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:00 pm
Strenia wrote:
The other day one burned out, and I still use the old ones, not LED or the fluorescent spiral kind which have mercury inside and you need Haz Mat people to come and clean your home of toxins if one ever breaks.

It happened to me a few weeks ago when I pulled a small lamp off the shelve by accident. I cleaned it up like I would any other broken light bulb. :shock:

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. If you see Chico acting a little strange, it's the light bulb.

P.S. Thanks for the recharging info, Strenia. I'm going to try this out.

I was worried about the mercury because I knew and had small children in the home. Since you did not know? You're probably safe, especially if you've had mercury amalgam fillings in your mouth. Most people can handle a small amount of mercury. Most people's immune systems are able to expel it.

Let the forum know how the alkaline battery recharging works for you.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]