Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
Music Thread 
Site Admin

Post Re: Music Thread
My musical education expanded mightily because of this amazing group. I was 9 years old, but "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You", and "I Saw Her Standing There" were revelations to me. That musical magic came from four young men without any studio magic. I was too young to realize that at the time, I just knew this was some kind of special sound I had never heard before. It was just the beginning, as I was to grow up in the most musically innovative and productive time that was simply unimaginable. It was a flowing discovery of artistry that helped define the roadway of my life.

THE BEATLES BEST PERFORMANCE EVER
(duration 27:28)

I never really appreciated Ringo's contribution to the Fab Four's music, but a young girl opened my old eyes to that just now.

What makes Ringo a Great Drummer - Tribute by Sina
(duration 15:00)

Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:03 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Music Thread
Simon and Garfunkel was another musical tour de force that captured my attention as a young teenager. My father was part owner of a radio station near Kansas City, Missouri (KBIL), and for years he received demo albums in the mail. When I heard Simon and Garfunkel, I recognized that musical magic of the Beatles, but now from only two people, and with a refined and sophisticated presence. "Lisa Brown" (my title) was one song I was stuck on as a youngster, and I just came across it on YouTube, and strangely found myself, now an old man, trying to remember where I had heard it before, and who the talented artist was. And then, buried deep in my memory, I could see myself loading my father's Akai reel-to-reel with the "Simon and Garfunkel" tape I had recorded on my own on his professional turntable from the demo album that had come in. I never knew anything about the artists, but I knew amazing music the moment it hit me. My unbiased ears were a very severe judge, and I knew in less than one listening which music would endure, which would fade away, and which would never amount to anything. How I could know with such certainty at such a young age was a mystery, but my choices have withstood the test of a lifetime, as this one, by an unknown band to me, demonstrates.

The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter (Video Version)
(duration 2:46)

And the version that I knew so long ago:

Simon & Garfunkel - A Hazy Shade Of Winter
(duration 2:17)

Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38