Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Music Thread 
Site Admin

Post Re: Music Thread
My musical education expanded mightily because of this amazing group. I was 9 years old, but "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You", and "I Saw Her Standing There" were revelations to me. That musical magic came from four young men without any studio magic. I was too young to realize that at the time, I just knew this was some kind of special sound I had never heard before. It was just the beginning, as I was to grow up in the most musically innovative and productive time that was simply unimaginable. It was a flowing discovery of artistry that helped define the roadway of my life.

THE BEATLES BEST PERFORMANCE EVER
(duration 27:28)

I never really appreciated Ringo's contribution to the Fab Four's music, but a young girl opened my old eyes to that just now.

What makes Ringo a Great Drummer - Tribute by Sina
(duration 15:00)

Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:03 am
Site Admin

Simon and Garfunkel was another musical tour de force that captured my attention as a young teenager. My father was part owner of a radio station near Kansas City, Missouri (KBIL), and for years he received demo albums in the mail. When I heard Simon and Garfunkel, I recognized that musical magic of the Beatles, but now from only two people, and with a refined and sophisticated presence. "Lisa Brown" (my title) was one song I was stuck on as a youngster, and I just came across it on YouTube, and strangely found myself, now an old man, trying to remember where I had heard it before, and who the talented artist was. And then, buried deep in my memory, I could see myself loading my father's Akai reel-to-reel with the "Simon and Garfunkel" tape I had recorded on my own on his professional turntable from the demo album that had come in. I never knew anything about the artists, but I knew amazing music the moment it hit me. My unbiased ears were a very severe judge, and I knew in less than one listening which music would endure, which would fade away, and which would never amount to anything. How I could know with such certainty at such a young age was a mystery, but my choices have withstood the test of a lifetime, as this one, by an unknown band to me, demonstrates.

The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter (Video Version)
(duration 2:46)

And the version that I knew so long ago:

Simon & Garfunkel - A Hazy Shade Of Winter
(duration 2:17)

Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:37 am
Site Admin

In the autumn of my life, from deep in the hidden recesses of my memory, a tune floats up from my subconscious, and I catch myself almost silently whistling the haunting melody. Where did I hear that so long ago? Who made this song? Wasn't it Moody Blues? What was the title? I don't know, as I never paid any attention to song titles. So I do an Internet search, as I seem to remember the lyrics of "you're not here". And I find it straight away.

Beautiful.

Moody Blues / Forever Autumn
(duration 4:34)

I was 22. It was summer. I was living alone in a room in an old, empty apartment house in Besancon, France. I worked five days a week stocking shelves in a big supermarket called SUMA, which is a commute across town that I make on a fun little mobylette (gas powered scooter). I had left behind in Chambery the love of my life at the end of Spring to come here to work, and I was missing her so painfully, very much akin to being ill. There was a record player in my room, with a few albums to play. One I recognized was Moody Blues. That was the one I played all summer long, to soothe my pain. It was this song, Forever Autumn, that I probably played the most. It was almost an anthem for me. I was also healing from nearly breaking the heels of both feet, after jumping into a swimming pool with legs locked straight, thinking I was jumping into the deep end, as I only saw heads visible above the choppy water. Turned out it was the shallow end, with everyone on bent knees or prone, and the jolt of my heels hitting the concrete bottom ended the end-of-semester party for me immediately. I walked on the balls of my feet for much of the summer, never saying anything about my injury to anyone so that I could keep my job. Those were the best of times, and those were the worst of times. And as a result, the music was burned into me almost like a cattle brand, as I longed for my lost love and my lost gait. But so much time has passed, memories fade, scars heal and are overwritten with deeper ones, until finally you almost think you have become "Comfortably Numb".

But the music reminds you how it was both bitter and sweet — bittersweet.

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:20 am
Site Admin

Dimash Kudaibergen still has it. His singing is as close to perfection as I have ever heard. This kind of talent is a true gift of the universe — to us all.

Show: The Voice from Kazakhstan (Dimash Kudaibergen) | DLD 22
(duration 21:17)
YouTube copy here.

Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:49 am
Site Admin

I just discovered tonight another singer with a stellar voice. I doesn't hurt that she is drop-dead beautiful either, much like her singing.

So often, I look at individuals, and I see the beaten down remains of what was surely once a beautiful child. The years take such a toll on us all. How do we hold onto the beauty of being human? Sociopaths show us the ugliness of being human, yet most of us are not like that. Empathy in action is such a beautiful thing, yet our leadership positions are full of sociopaths who can only imitate empathy with a false façade to better hide their hypocrisy.

I'm hoping if you sing like an angel, you are not a sociopath. But there may be exceptions.

The Most Beautiful "Hallelujah" - Lucy Thomas - (Stunning New HD Version!)
(duration 3:48)

Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:12 am
Site Admin

I like to check out what professional voice coaches think of the singers that I pick out as the best, just to see if my judgement is sound, since I am not considered an expert by training and education. I discover these amazing singers on my own, without guidance from any pundits or authoritative experts, and usually by total, unexpected randomness. They are always a surprise to me, due to their excellence, which hits me something like a "shock and awe" event. Pentatonix did that to me, as did Dimash and now Lucy Thomas. So today I saw a reaction video to Lucy Thomas by a vocal coach in my YouTube suggestions, and decided I should once again examine how my judgement compares to "the experts".

This kid has got pipes! Vocals Coach REACTS - LUCY THOMAS "Hallelujah"
(duration 12:50)

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:39 am
Site Admin

And I followed that video reaction up with another one, to get a third opinion from someone who should know, who incidentally was very skeptical from the beginning that Lucy Thomas was performing the best rendition of this song that he had ever heard, when he has heard them all.

Lucy Thomas - Hallelujah - Reaction - Indeed one of the most incredible versions yet!
(duration 11:30)

Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:01 am
Site Admin

Gotta do one more, as I realize now that after I first heard Hallelujah by Lucy Thomas a few times, a few days back, I did view this one reaction video that I am just seeing again and want to include.

Vocal ANALYSIS of "Hallelujah" sung by teen prodigy Lucy Thomas!
(duration 19:33)

Though I have never been trained in vocal music, I grew up in a time (1960s and 70s) where incredible music and singers were presented to the public with amazing rapidity. When I learned how to record music on tape, I was always searching for "the best" music that I felt would never lose its appeal, that would become "the classics" in the distant future just like some Mozart and Beethoven pieces were the classics for my parents and grandparents (and me). Which performances would be a flash in the pan, and which would become immortal? Of course, now I can see that with sociopaths leading us, our human civilization is not likely to last long, and our classics could easily disappear forever. What a shame that would be, a crying shame on us because we did not manage our sociopaths, but instead, through ignorance, unwittingly allowed them to manage us.

Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:46 am
Site Admin

Is it possible for a singing voice to be so perfect? A discriminating friend that I had review Lucy Thomas' "Hallelujah" suggested that he could perhaps hear some digital enhancement to her voice in the song, which came as a total surprise to me. I did some quick Internet research to see if I could find anyone else suggesting some enhancement, and I could not. Would they use any enhancement in the live singing competition she competed in at age 13?

Stunning Performance of "Moon River" by Lucy Thomas
(duration 2:20)

I don't think so. Her history suggests that, like Dimash, she is the real deal. Today, I just listened to the following performance by Lucy of "Wind Beneath My Wings", and I can still only hear the unbelievable sounds of a singing angel who has no need for any kind of enhancement whatsoever. Have I been fooled?

Wind Beneath My Wings (“From Beaches) - Lucy Thomas
(duration 4:43)

Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:31 pm
Site Admin

So I'm checking out the other "stars" singing "Hallelujah", and the contrast they present to Lucy Thomas' version is stark. Jeff Buckley can't sing, in my opinion, even if he can do a lot of unusual things with his voice. His version of "Hallelujah" is not one I would care to hear again. K.D. Lang starts singing "Hallelujah" off pitch, which has me rejecting her performance immediately. I force myself to listen to the whole song, and while she sings some things well, other parts are nothing to write home about. I tell a friend about my critical reaction to these two famous singers, and she suggests there is some infatuation going on, as if Lucy Thomas' physical beauty is influencing my judgement. I don't think so. I judge with my ears, not my eyes, when it comes to singing.

I did express some amazed and amused kudos for Jeff Buckley's exit, drowning after wading fully clothed into the Mississippi River and floating away on his back singing Zeppelin's "Whole Lot of Love". Dang, that impressed me, especially after watching Christian Sundberg's pre-birth memory video! Maybe I don't like Jeff Buckley's singing, but I like his panache.

Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next