Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Music Thread 
Site Admin

Post Re: Music Thread
This was always one of my favorite musical pieces, an old sailor song from days long past, when salt spray, fresh air, and blue skies stretched endlessly from horizon to horizon in every direction. Why it should be that way for me is not clear, but it feels like a very familiar memory.

Drunken Sailer - Irish Rovers

What shall we do with the Drunken Sailor - Lyrics - Hurray and up she Rises! Traditional sea shanty

Sea Shanties - Drunken Sailor

What is this song about? There's been a lot of discussion about this, but I don't think anyone is on the right track, except this one guy, who gets belittled and dismissed for his unpopular opinion:

Quote:
I'm amazed that nobody has noted the transparent crudity of this shanty. The "drunken sailor" refers to a member of the crew suffering erectile dysfunction as a result of over indulgence and shanty suggests methods of solving it - hence "Hooray and up she rises" – trigg

Are you trying to be serious, or are you making a joke? Because this is just too preposterous to be considered an actual answer. – tchrist -- source

Preposterous? Hardly. Only we're not talking "erectile dysfunction", but erectile active function in a well lubed sailor early in the morning, when dreamy visions of long lost inviting and eager women dance in his head. Shave his belly with a rusty razor, and maybe the proximity of such a dangerous blade might put out his fires, but no, they rage on. Put a hose pipe on it, and hope the cold will deflate his hot desires, but it is not to be. "Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter" is the only natural solution that is likely to work, and finally restore him to working order so he can focus on getting those sails hoisted and that deck scrubbed!

Maybe I was once a drunken sailor, and that's why I know what this song is about (though it only became obvious to me today). It's funny how the rest of the world has wandered so far astray from the true reality that is right there in front of us, if only we would observe with proper care.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:20 am
Site Admin

As a young man, I used to ski in the Alps with this song in my head. Good times...

Styx - Lady

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:39 am
Site Admin

My daughter was selected for the Adams State choir when she was young. The best high school singers in the state sent in auditions to earn their places. It was a very select group, but the real magic occurred in the two days the group worked together with the director of the program. She molded them into something out of this world. I heard the result at their one and only performance, and I wept with joy despite my best efforts at self-control. All I could think of is that if angels could sing, this must be what they would sound like! It was heavenly, and I didn't even believe in Heaven.

That experience was completely unexpected and unique. I haven't heard anything that could touch it until today. I stumbled upon a group called Pentatonix that I knew nothing about, but the harmony that those five voices achieved reminded me of the day I heard the angels sing.

[OFFICIAL VIDEO] Hallelujah - Pentatonix

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:28 am
Site Admin

When I first heard Clay Aiken sing early in the competition on the TV show American Idol, my reaction was "Everyone can go home, the contest is over." I knew right away that no one could compare.

Last night I heard a singer who is so talented that it doesn't even seem humanly possible. He is off the scale when it comes to "good". Check this out:

Dimash Kudaibergenov -S.O.S
(duration 4:54)

October 4, 2020: How is it YouTube could get this video removed! Damn them! I have archived a copy here.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:17 pm
Site Admin

What do I know about music?

I know when I hear angels sing, which only happened to me once in the past. This is the second time. I feel incredibly blessed.

Vocal Coach Reacts to Dimash Kudaibergen - SOS
(duration 15:19)

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:52 pm
Site Admin

Dimash sings the same song again almost a year and a half later, and now his French is polished up nicely, and his perfection is too. What astounding talent!

I found this performance in the comments of this reaction video.

Dimash Kudaibergen - S.O.S Slavic Bazaar ~ Димаш Құдайберген - SOS "Славян Базары - 2018" ашылуы
(duration 6:06)

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:54 am
Site Admin

To solve the problem of sociopaths, humanity has to unite and work together. Though it seems an impossible task, especially when sociopaths actively work to keep us divided, I know it can be done. When humans put their minds to it, things of incredible beauty can be created. Here's a quick example:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - The Danish National Symphony Orchestra (Live)
(duration 6:02)

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:21 am
Site Admin

Well, he's not a fluke. Dimash delivers, over and over again. Astoundingly precise sound, so close to perfection that you can't tell the difference.

Incredible.

Yes, it's a remix and a video mixture, but the voice is real. What a sound.

Dimash / The Voice / Shakira shocked / SOS
(duration 4:52)

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:46 am
Site Admin

So, a year and a half flies by, I advance ploddingly towards my grave, and the ugliness of a world of massive deception and manipulation directed by sociopaths of unfathomable evil dances in front of my eyes, while at the same time most people are oblivious to it and ignorant of it. In this land of the blind, the one-eyed man is not king. He is a nearly helpless prisoner, horrified at the psychological abuse the Helen Kellers that dominate the world are subjected to. Anne Sullivan is not there to deliver any of the Helen Kellers from their darkness and isolation. Instead, the Wicked Witch of the West torments them all with icy glee. Because it's all they've ever known, the dumb sheep eat it up, thinking it is "normal".

But it's not normal, it's sick.

Beauty is not extinct, however. Artists who give rather than take do exist, and some of them do the universe proud. Dimash, and all of his helpers of good intent, show us what evil can never accomplish. Creation, rather than destruction. Beauty, rather than vileness. Purity, rather than pollution. Vitality, rather than poison.

Good, rather than evil.

Dimash, Across Endless Dimensions
(duration 3:57)

Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:46 am
Site Admin

Pentatonix performances will stand the test of time, I am sure. The blended sound of their voices is simply exquisite. Who needs instruments when you have human voices that sound this good.

I had a singing solo in a big kindergarten performance when I was a tyke. This is the song I sang, at least a section of it, so it resonates with me. But even if it didn't, I would still appreciate the amazing beauty of their sound.

I wish our politicians and leaders could make this world a more beautiful place like Pentatonix can.

[Official Video] Little Drummer Boy - Pentatonix
(duration 4:14)

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next