Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Sanitation 
Site Admin

Post Sanitation
I didn't realize that basic sanitation is still a challenging issue for much of humanity. We have problems with latrines? "Why do so many people in rural India defecate in the open?" I didn't even know we had to ask this question. The once mighty civilization of India still hasn't solved the most basic problem of dealing with human waste! Actually, I wonder if the once mighty civilization of America is that much more advanced. "Out of sight, out of mind" seems to be the extent of many accepted waste disposal solutions in the U.S.

I never imagined that latrine pits needed to be emptied. I thought once a latrine pit was "full", you just covered it over with dirt and dug a new pit. If that simple change could have prevented the development of a caste system in India, what an improvement that would have been!

I almost put this post in this thread, but I decided it was important enough to merit its own thread. Dealing with human waste has always intrigued me. "Waste" is a misnomer, as waste products are really resources that we haven't figured out how to use effectively.

The surprising truth of open defecation in India | Sangita Vyas | TEDxWalledCity

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:39 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Sanitation
Humans can be pathetic, but they can also be incredible. "Be the change you wish to see" is something I take to heart more and more in my life. I have been caring for the rural parkland in my little town for a number of years now, hauling out garbage and making improvements, slowly but steadily. I do it alone, anonymously, and voluntarily. It's starting to catch on. As more and more people enjoy the parkland I've improved, I've noticed that some are also contributing to its maintenance, also alone, anonymously, and voluntarily. So I can relate to the video below, because I've lived it, right here in the USA.

Why is India so filthy? | The Ugly Indian | TEDxBangalore

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]