Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
The Great Filter Theory 
Site Admin

Post The Great Filter Theory
Andy suggested I read this article on the Great Filter Theory, which I wasn't familiar with. No surprise there, as there is no limit to the number of things I'm not familiar with!

I had some strong reactions to the article, which is always an interesting thing to observe. I'll share those reactions here, to hopefully gain some insight into rational thinking or perhaps my own personal delusions of what I consider rational thinking.

Quote:
The so-called "Great Silence" is the contradictory and counter-intuitive observation that we have yet to see any evidence for the existence of aliens.

You've got to be kidding me! We hardly have the means to determine if we've been visited by aliens. We are mostly deaf, dumb, and blind! If different alien species were here 100,000 and 40,000 and 8,000 years ago, what would we know about it now? Even if we get lucky and find some OOPARTs, what would that tell us? Probably nothing. There is a great deal of evidence that aliens are here currently, and what does the average person know about it? They only know what the controlled media tells them. The premise that there has been a "Great Silence" is horribly flawed, as are the following speculations that build upon it.

Quote:
And like the immutable laws of the universe, the GF (Great Filter)is a stumbling block that holds true across the board; if it applies here on Earth, it applies everywhere.

Ridiculous reasoning. Unknown evolutionary paths that unknown types of life could take would surely have their own unique set of "stumbling blocks".

Quote:
Assuming there's no other filter awaiting us in the future, it means we might be the first and only intelligent civilization in the Milky Way.

We're special only in the limitations of our senses and the degree of our idiocy, thinking we're "the first and only intelligent civilization in the Milky Way." I think I'm going to barf at the sick arrogance of it all.

Quote:
Given that we've never detected life elsewhere, it's difficult to know how difficult this initial step was.

Once again, I have to point out that we hardly have any means to detect life elsewhere, unless it falls in our lap, and even then we would probably misinterpret it if we even notice it.

Quote:
The process of copying a genetic molecule is extremely complex, involving the perfect configuration of proteins and other cellular components.

Maybe it only appears complex and "perfect" to us simple-minded humans. Crystals copy their orderly lattice structure quite nicely under the right conditions, and they are not even alive. I'm beginning to think creationists are ghostwriting this article.

Quote:
After the formation of prokaryotes — about 3.5 billion years ago — nothing changed in the biological landscape for the next 1.8 billion years.

How the Hell can we come to that nonsensical conclusion? Evolution took a long 1.8 billion year vacation, and hasn't had a day off since? Could it be that the means we have to know what happened in any detail 2 billion years ago to highly biodegradable single-celled organisms are, shall we say, close to zero?

So, my reaction to this article is that I have been intellectually groped and fondled by leering, perverted creationists because their God loves to watch. Interesting reaction, no?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:50 am

Post Re: The Great Filter Theory

So, my reaction to this article is that I have been intellectually groped and fondled by leering, perverted creationists because their God loves to watch. Interesting reaction, no?

:lol:

QRK: QifUSqn6ygXK61pEkm2g4iBY9ZcLw4g4su
FCK: FettxKyQVhsSURZt1XQxUTypwxEeBbTgUQ

Please visit http://forum.qrk.cc/ for all things Crypto!

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]