Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Why people leave UP 
Site Admin

Post Why people leave UP
There's a great lesson here. In fact, there are many great lessons here.

One of the charges leveled against me as administrator of United People is that “people are leaving!” The implication is that I must be doing something dreadfully wrong. Our conditioning, which I tend to call our brainwashing, is that forums (and communities, economies, governments, nations, etc.) must continually grow. Forums grow by attracting and holding members. Growth usually means “making money”.

Continual growth is unsustainable, undesirable, and does not occur in nature. But that's another long story, one worth thinking about.

So analyze this – why are people leaving UP?

The good news is that, so far, they are not being banned. They are leaving voluntarily. People are banned because someone in a position of power is intolerant of their convictions. This is something I know about, having been banned from four forums. The key word there is intolerance.

What are they intolerant of, in my case? My philosophy. “Question everything, dismiss nothing without good evidence.” Very few people, it turns out, can tolerate having their convictions questioned. And why would that be? That too is another long story, one worth thinking about.

So, why do people leave voluntarily? Once again, it is a question of intolerance. The people leaving have a conviction. When their conviction is questioned or not adopted by others, they find it intolerable. If they can't ban those they cannot tolerate, they voluntarily ban themselves. They leave.

United People is about truth-seeking and freedom. We cannot search for truth without freedom, and freedom is not compatible with intolerance. There is a balance to be struck, of course. Intolerance is codified by rules. The world today is drowning in rules, and very short on freedom. At some point, we have to draw a line and set a minimum level of intolerance to preserve a maximum level of freedom. Humanity has done this with the Golden Rule, “Do not do to others what you would not have them do to you.” It's not a perfect rule, but so far, no one has been able to do better.

Truthunter continually justified his conviction to me with “All the good people are leaving.” I believe that statement is wrong. He should have said, “All the intolerant people are leaving.”

And all the tolerant people, the freedom-lovers, are staying.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Post Re: Why people leave UP
Hear, hear

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:49 pm

There's a great lesson here. In fact, there are many great lessons here.

One of the charges leveled against me as administrator of United People is that “people are leaving!” The implication is that I must be doing something dreadfully wrong. Our conditioning, which I tend to call our brainwashing, is that forums (and communities, economies, governments, nations, etc.) must continually grow. Forums grow by attracting and holding members. Growth usually means “making money”.

Continual growth is unsustainable, undesirable, and does not occur in nature. But that's another long story, one worth thinking about.

So analyze this – why are people leaving UP?

The good news is that, so far, they are not being banned. They are leaving voluntarily. People are banned because someone in a position of power is intolerant of their convictions. This is something I know about, having been banned from four forums. The key word there is intolerance.

What are they intolerant of, in my case? My philosophy. “Question everything, dismiss nothing without good evidence.” Very few people, it turns out, can tolerate having their convictions questioned. And why would that be? That too is another long story, one worth thinking about.

So, why do people leave voluntarily? Once again, it is a question of intolerance. The people leaving have a conviction. When their conviction is questioned or not adopted by others, they find it intolerable. If they can't ban those they cannot tolerate, they voluntarily ban themselves. They leave.

United People is about truth-seeking and freedom. We cannot search for truth without freedom, and freedom is not compatible with intolerance. There is a balance to be struck, of course. Intolerance is codified by rules. The world today is drowning in rules, and very short on freedom. At some point, we have to draw a line and set a minimum level of intolerance to preserve a maximum level of freedom. Humanity has done this with the Golden Rule, “Do not do to others what you would not have them do to you.” It's not a perfect rule, but so far, no one has been able to do better.

Truthunter continually justified his conviction to me with “All the good people are leaving.” I believe that statement is wrong. He should have said, “All the intolerant people are leaving.”

And all the tolerant people, the freedom-lovers, are staying.

Most people claim the moral high ground because it is convenient. They become self righteous, like Zook, when questioned.... God forbid one admit to making an error! No best to claim that "others are responsible." How people behave in the clutch is what its about.... Not when they are at their best.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:10 pm
Site Admin

dsimon3387 wrote:
How people behave in the clutch is what its about.... Not when they are at their best.

Ain't that the truth!

And really, it is all about behavior, not beliefs.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 pm

The good news is that, so far, they are not being banned. They are leaving voluntarily.

thats the truth.

more truth serum........

United People is about truth-seeking and freedom. We cannot search for truth without freedom, and freedom is not compatible with intolerance.

amen brother. a-men

The world today is drowning in rules, and very short on freedom.

resonates clearly.

strenia and waspduck are trolling sez zie zookzie.

Trolling for the rebel, trolling for the rake
Trolling for the luckless, the abandoned an' forsaked
Trolling for the outcast, burnin' constantly at stake
An' we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing.

the truth shall set you free but first it might piss you off..........

after self professed truth hunters get over there indignation and maybe grow a tougher skin they can make a dignified return and still be welcome i trust . seeing as they werent uninvited or sent on a unrequested vacation to siberia by the ptb .

“Do not do to others what you would not have them do to you.”

i' ll try not to break that rule or any of the other common laws i try to live by .just so long as ya don't come at me first or kick others around needlessly or sucker punch or hit below the belt or try to threaten manipulate or coerce me to shut my gob or disappear me just cuz ya dont get my vibe or dont like what i said or cuz i won't drink your koolaid or just cuz you think you can get away with doing me dirty like some elitists or there flunkies or privileged pundits or pseudo-intellectuals on bully pulpits or corrupt a-holes misusing the power vested in them do without any knowledge or consensus by the people ergo few consequences on other forums . you just have to look at how nexus has buried jose feliciano' s ballad there and you understand i aint just talking trash here.

if those cardinal sins aren' t commited with impunity and immunity by virtue of nepotism at United People Forum then i can probably behave. you may discover i am capable of becoming a self moderated respectful member of a bonafide truther board.i aint found one of those yet but this could be a eureka moment chico.

all the tolerant people, the freedom-lovers, are staying.

right again .least ways from my vantage point my brothers and sisters in arms.

respect from doc

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:49 pm

God I am getting old....I remember Chico and the man particularly the theme song. It was sort of a Ghetto, balls to the wall version of "Raindrops keep falling on my head." :lol:

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 am
Site Admin

That's one TV show I must have missed, because I never heard of it.

I assume it was a flop. :giggle:

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:44 am

That's one TV show I must have missed, because I never heard of it.

I assume it was a flop. :giggle:

that gives you an idea of my age to cuz i remember it well and it was popular.ran 4 seasons in the 70s. the main character freddie prinze comitted suicide at the end of the 3rd season so they wrote him out saying chico was visiting relatives in mexico.next season they replaced him and the show flopped and was canceled.

Last edited by wassupdoc on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:16 pm

People leave because the atmospheric pressure is to great at these depths.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:42 pm

don' t have to leave this truth forum. appreciate diferences a little respect when rebutting and otherwise play nice like this cat and dolphins.

askin to much?

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]