Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Please avoid excessive quoting 
Site Admin

Post Please avoid excessive quoting
Quote:
Only quote pertinent information. Keep it short.

You can edit out unneeded text within the quote tags before you post. This helps prevent lengthy messages from being repeated over and over, and keeps the discussion focused.

The main reason for avoiding lengthy quotes is to help prevent the size of forum backups from growing out of control.

Thanks for your help in maintaining our forum!

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:47 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Please avoid excessive quoting
I am seeing a lot of lengthy posts due to lots of quoted text from prior posts, to which is added very little new information. This causes the forum database and backups to increase rapidly in size as multiple posts are quoted repeatedly.

I can see lots of possible solutions to this problem.

1. Ignore the problem and end up having members pay for equipment and services that can handle the ever-growing data mass, knowing that money ruins everything.
  2. Allow the software to purge older posts automatically as needed, losing valuable posts and forum history.
  3. Ask for volunteers to manually (and tediously) edit posts by removing excessive quoted text.
  4. Convince members to edit there own posts by using quoted text sparingly.

There may be other options, and if so, I would like to hear them. For the moment, I believe the last option would serve us members best.

May I please have your help in solving this problem?

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:25 am

Let's stop excessive quoting.

If it continues then back to the drawing board.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Quote:
Chico:
The main reason for avoiding lengthy quotes is to help prevent the size of forum backups from growing out of control.

Chico, to the best of your knowledge, could you explain what forum backups are and what is "from growing out of control"?

Regarding the amount of information being collected and stored what would be the cost of such hardware and servers to continue to do so?
I would freely donate funds to keep such a luxurious streamline.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Yeah, me too. Was gonna suggest the donate thing but darent, it's such a can of worms.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:48 pm
Site Admin

magamud wrote:
Chico, to the best of your knowledge, could you explain what forum backups are and what is "from growing out of control"?

Every day, I backup the entire UP forum. I store the backups alternately on the server running the forum and on another computer with mirrored RAID drives. For the moment, I don't have to pay to use those computers.

All storage and hosting costs are normally a matter of data storage size requirements and bandwidth. As the forum grows, both will increase. Both also increase more rapidly due to excessive post quoting.

In the past three months, the size of the backup (which reflects the size of the forum posts) has gone from 350KB to 4000KB. In other words, in three months, the size increased by ten times.

Quote:
Regarding the amount of information being collected and stored what would be the cost of such hardware and servers to continue to do so?

Judging from Nexus, $2500 a year will currently support a board of 1000 members. But money has a way of corrupting everything it touches, which has me concerned. I would like to avoid the road to perdition as much as I can.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]