Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
If at first you don't succeed... 
Site Admin

Post If at first you don't succeed...
All right, let's try again. For those that don't want to try again, please get out of the way.

Although the experiment in "Rule by the People" known as the United States failed spectacularly (not unlike the first revision of United People), some of the ideas that were put into place were not without merit.

I would like to place some ideas in the forum for discussion. First -- given the voter fraud that occurred here, UP obviously needs some kind of voter requirements and voter registration. For voter requirements, I suggest:
  1. A minimum amount of time on the forum.
  2. A minimum number of non-trivial posts on the forum.
  3. A completed voter registration.

Number 1 will help prevent invited disruptors from joining just to manipulate the vote (ala GW and crew). Number 2 allows some insight into member seriousness towards UP's goals (thank you GW and crew again). Number 3 helps to minimize voter fraud, like sockpuppets (yes, GW again).

For voter registration, I suggest:
  1. Real name and full residential address.
  2. A verification that this public information is correct (a picture ID).
  3. A public posting of that information for member scrutiny.

My rationale for the above is -- if you can't stand up and be counted, then you won't be counted. If you are too afraid to register and have your public information put out in front of the public, as is required for any voter registration, then stay away from the polls. If you wish to remain anonymous, you are free to do so and continue to have your voice heard, but you will not vote.

Second -- in developing the organism called United People from the members (the body cells), we are going to need a primitive brain to make quick decisions when voting is not practical – at the moment, as I have learned, that's me. This quick decision-making organ would benefit from a small network of specialized cells (members) to ensure that it does its job in the best interests of the membership, and some kind of efficient and accurate feedback loop between the brain and the other cells (something like a primitive nervous system) must be in place to ensure these two control structures do not work at cross-purposes. Traditionally, administrators and moderators have been the brain and have worked reasonably efficiently, but the efficient feedback loop with the membership, the nervous system, has been lacking. For the brain, we could use the traditional forum control system of admins and mods, or we could use something new, like a Steering Committee. But the key component would have to be in the feedback loop that keeps the brain and body cells interdependent.

These are just suggestions and discussion points to try to resolve the problems we have recently witnessed at United People. Any other ideas?

Fri May 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Post Re: If at first you don't succeed...
Yes my fuhrer....let us get them out of the way for you.

Her darrell in charge of the Brown shirts ready to crack some heads for mine fuhrer

Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Fuck no you will not get my name and address. You have been known to threaten to publish and to publish private skype messages. What will stop you from suddenly deciding to publishing my name and address? You tend to do whatever you think will get you the outcome YOU want and damn the consequences. You seem to think the ends justify the means. No thank you.

Stormborn

Fri May 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Stormborn wrote:
Fuck no you will not get my name and address. You have been known to threaten to publish and to publish private skype messages. What will stop you from suddenly deciding to publishing my name and address? You tend to do whatever you think will get you the outcome YOU want and damn the consequences. You seem to think the ends justify the means. No thank you.

Stormborn

Quote:
Machiavellianism is one of the three personality traits referred to as the dark triad, along with narcissism and psychopathy. Some psychologists consider Machiavellianism to be essentially a subclinical form of psychopathy,[5] although recent research suggests that while Machiavellianism and psychopathy overlap, they are distinct personality constructs.[6]

Fri May 04, 2012 9:23 pm
Site Admin

That's three comments already, and not one iota of constructive contribution.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Excellent starting proposals, Chico.

Even voter registration (with full transparency) is not that bad an idea. In the end, enough people will be discouraged to participate in polls that we won't see all these gratuitous polls.

Radio killed the silent movie star ... TV killed the radio star ... and gratuitous polls kill the important polls - which are few and far between.

In the end, the rare important polls will belong to the courageous thinkers - like they should - and not to the meek who hide inside the box that Jack bought, to periodically pop out and scare the snot out of the proverbial nose. As it were.

Gladiators are required to fight the power pyramid ... Spartacus has shown us the way. And gladiators start out as a few courageous souls and then build into a movement.

Excellent stuff, Chico!

Kudos.

Flight that sends into the clouds brings wings to rest upon the boughs. Then further down to the liquid lawn, to serve as sentries for the gliding swan. Curve, a perfect turning of the line between here and Heaven, with extensions into infinitum.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:35 pm

I agree with points 1 and 2.

3...Well. I think the more people that are encouraged to participate in polls the better. Not the other way round.

Lee

Fri May 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Do you think it is OK that he can ban and suspend at will?

He banned Gypsy today.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Who me?

No.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:51 pm
Site Admin

Canzirka wrote:
Do you think it is OK that he can ban and suspend at will? He banned Gypsy today.

Sorry, there is no other functioning system in place. GW destroyed the one we were using.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next