Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
If at first you don't succeed... 
Site Admin

Post Re: If at first you don't succeed...
The idea of having a requirement for a minimum amount of time as a member of the forum as well as a minimum number of posts does have its advantages and disadvantages. Obviously, we don't want people posting trivialities just to boost their post count, so we should specify that we mean non-trivial posts as opposed to just any posts. Then we run into the problem of defining the difference between trivial posts and non-trivial posts, which is a subjective determination. Having a sufficient body of non-trivial posts to look at gives the existing members of the Voters group an idea of who they will be sharing power with should they agree to accept the new voter.

Tue May 08, 2012 6:54 am
Site Admin

Post Re: If at first you don't succeed...
nox wrote:
But to put the number of posts to 200 is maybe a bit much .. That could lead to "overposting" beyond that of real substance , to become a "senior".

I apologize for the late reply. I somehow missed your posts here.

I agree that the requirements for seniority can be gamed, which is why voting privileges require the approval of the existing Voter group. If they feel that too many posts lack real substance, or participation on the forum has been too contrived, they can take that into consideration when they are polled for approving a new Voter.

nox wrote:
..It actualy means an average of two (2) posts a day for 3 months , (till the 6 month requirement is met) - phew... where is the lol-cat thread ?)

The length of service (minimum six months) and the total post count (minimum 200) are independent requirements, but both must be satisfied to be considered for approval in the Voter group. I realize that these requirements are not ideal, but they were necessitated by the problems we had with GypsyWoman and her carefully assembled forum wrecking crew. Any suggestions for further refining the selection process for Voters are always welcome, as the Voters can change the process. My original effort to allow everyone to participate was undermined by the numerous sockpuppets GW operated, which destroyed the "one man, one vote" concept of fairness that underlies any valid democratic process.

Addendum: Oops, I just noticed that I did promptly reply to you, Nox, and having forgotten, I am now just repeating myself. So even though my poor memory alarms me, I am pleased to see that I am consistent in my thinking.

:face:

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4