Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Rules? What rules?! We don't need no stinkin' rules! 
Site Admin

Post Rules? What rules?! We don't need no stinkin' rules!
But we might need some guidelines.

1. The Golden Rule – Do not do to others what you would not want done to you.
2. The Physicians Creed – Do no harm.

Reworded for the purposes of posting on this forum:

1. Do not speak to others in ways that most people would not like to be spoken to.
2. Be balanced -- avoid harming others, seek to benefit the common good.

I would like to see as much guidance and policing as possible coming from the forum members. Be the change you wish to see in the world. We don't want authoritarian tyranny here. We want considerate cooperation.

Will it work? That's up to us.

Wed May 04, 2011 11:05 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Rules? What rules?! We don't need no stinkin' rules!
Another idea for future consideration. If a member is exceptionally rude, vulgar, or disrespectful, rather than censor his or her post, perhaps it should be moved to a special thread called "The Hall of Shame" where anyone that wants to can view it and know why it was selected for this dishonor. In that way, there is no real censorship, but there is proper and acceptable policing.

Thu May 19, 2011 5:35 am
I totally agree with the Golden Rule. :)

I feel that the reason people spill hatred of sorts, is because they are revealing what is really their make up. As a joyful person may rarely get REALLY angry, a REALLY angry person may seldom feel joyful. :| We can become angry at injustice, but it aught not to be about just opinion or personal differences. For instance, a religious person better treat a non-religious person with respect and vise versa, or neither has room to talk. :cry:

It seems all the RULES there are is for people that can't seem to follow the Golden Rule, and that seems to be most of humanity. Not good...not good at all. :shock:

So the biggest challenge we face is really ourselves. :?

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Chicodoodoo wrote:
Another idea for future consideration. If a member is exceptionally rude, vulgar, or disrespectful, rather than censor his or her post, perhaps it should be moved to a special thread called "The Hall of Shame" where anyone that wants to can view it and know why it was selected for this dishonor. In that way, there is no real censorship, but there is proper and acceptable policing.

We do need to have some sort of a plan imo....maybe it would be worth a try. I haven't seen that anywhere else and it's about as transparent as you can get. But then who gets to choose?

I'm all about transparency these days!

Also we could remind the person of the forum guidelines above before it gets out of hand.

I'm not feeling particularly positive after seeing what's been happening on other forums these last few months :cry:

It's great to see some activity here anyway..

Warm wishes,
Lee

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:12 pm

truthunter wrote:
I totally agree with the Golden Rule. :)

I feel that the reason people spill hatred of sorts, is because they are revealing what is really their make up. As a joyful person may rarely get REALLY angry, a REALLY angry person may seldom feel joyful. :| We can become angry at injustice, but it aught not to be about just opinion or personal differences. For instance, a religious person better treat a non-religious person with respect and vise versa, or neither has room to talk. :cry:

It seems all the RULES there are is for people that can't seem to follow the Golden Rule, and that seems to be most of humanity. Not good...not good at all. :shock:

So the biggest challenge we face is really ourselves. :?

Hi Truthunter,

I agree with all you say :!: Hopefully members can debate idea's - as opposed to personal attacks. If we set the tone high maybe we can show how it is possible to self regulate.

Love your prolific use of smilies :D

Warm regards,
Lee

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:30 pm
I am all for warning people. It may take 7 warnings, but it's better than pulling a plug with no explanation given. We are all told that "tolerance" is what is needed on this planet, well, that is a good concept. We should try to tolerate others as much as possible, and don't we do that in our daily lives?
We may say that we can't tolerate a "troll", but then, no one says you have to feed one. Or someone who can't use appropriate language...just don't feed that either. There will be "fools" but none of us have to play the fool, and if can't see past it all, guess who is the real fool?
I have found out that people who want to pick fights do so because they feel stuck somewhere in the Matrix. A bird in flight doesn't need to worry about ground traffic, he is free to soar.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:36 pm
Lee, I think you are the first EVER to agree with me on all I said. :P :) :P

I think you got it about setting a HIGH STANDARD. There will always be those who think such as us are "holier than thou" and all that, but that is ok, because part of our ongoing challenge is to outgrow our baby clothes. :roll:

I always liked your name and found it to be of those who are wonderful individuals. :P

I think it would be nice to be able to put real names on here and something about who we are, but it's not safe to do so with who knows who is who these days. Chico knows me well outside the internet. I got banned from Nexus too. It was all Chico's fault. :?

Good to see you here Lee. It seems you are needed here. :)

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:51 pm
Site Admin

Could forums be run like this? It might be one way to deal with truly destructive posters. Just thinking out loud.....

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:01 pm

truthunter wrote:
I always liked your name and found it to be of those who are wonderful individuals. :P

I think it would be nice to be able to put real names on here and something about who we are, but it's not safe to do so with who knows who is who these days. Chico knows me well outside the internet. I got banned from Nexus too. It was all Chico's fault. :?

I always thought putting up a photo of yourself was rather brave. Particularly the pics that have a sureal border with fading in of angels or cloud like formations. But the most fun are the one's taken by the person with the extended arm. You know, trying to pretend someone else took it. What fun. I always wonder how many it took to get that one they're happy with.

Banned from nexus :o , surely that takes some doing and Chico's fault?? Say no more :lol: Well that's why we need new forums - we get to try another way.

Thanks for your kind words Truthunter.

I'm glad to be here and I'll admit to being a little bit wonderful on a good day :)
Lee

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:31 pm
Lee wrote:
truthunter wrote:

I always thought putting up a photo of yourself was rather brave. Particularly the pics that have a sureal border with fading in of angels or cloud like formations. But the most fun are the one's taken by the person with the extended arm. You know, trying to pretend someone else took it. What fun. I always wonder how many it took to get that one they're happy with.

Banned from nexus :o , surely that takes some doing and Chico's fault?? Say no more :lol: Well that's why we need new forums - we get to try another way.

Thanks for your kind words Truthunter.

I'm glad to be here and I'll admit to being a little bit wonderful on a good day :)
Lee

The pic I put on was one of those at arms length, but had to fade it so I don't stand out too much in the crowd. 8-) I am not so naive that I don't think I am not being a target, and have somewhat of an identity to protect.

Chico has been a bad influence on me. :roll: But he is after all my "brother", so I have to put up with him. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You are right about the new forum. Maybe if we play "nice" :D we just might get somewhere. :P

Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next