Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Return of Bicameral (Wo)Man: Gods, Innocents & Neurotoxicity 

Post Re: Return of Bicameral (Wo)Man: Gods, Innocents & Neurotoxi
Hi nongeneration,

You've opened up a huge can of worms by publishing your studies.

There are other possibilities other than poisoning and electronic waves that could cause a rise in mental disorders (if most of them actually exist).

The most obvious factor is of course population. In 2007 the population was twice as what it was in 1970, or in other words the population doubled in 37 years. Has the indice of mental health doubled in this same time frame?

Of course we can't just accept the number of people on the planet as the whole factor.

Our lifestyles have changed also.

Back in the 60's and 70's the man went out to work and the woman stayed at home to look after the kids. For good or for bad, that idea had gone out of the window. More and more women are chief breadwinners at home. Most of the time both partners have to work to make ends meet. That in turn creates an upheaval of 'traditional' family values where now nobody is at home looking after the kids. So in the developed world kids have to look out for themselves sooner (latch key kids - which back in the 70's was frowned upon) and more often than not don't have the emotional backing of their family (too busy).

The more people on the planet, the less room there is to move about. In urbain areas there is less room to do things. The rush hour has turned in to the rush two hours. Road rage has become part of everyday life, sound pollution has risen during these times also with lorries getting even bigger. Companies have had to create flexi-time for their workers because of the difficulties of the peak hours (in the country where I live the government has been reduced to 'rotate' which cars can use the roads on which days. In London also there is now a surcharge to travel through the city to try and reduce traffic.

Ethnicities are mixing more which means that conflicting cultures are living side by side. Here people talk very loudly, whilst in the UK the British tend to talk a lot quieter. Remember I told you that I took the one pound Megabus to London? Whilst I was on the bus, people spoke literally in whispers. Here is't just not the case, they speak LOUD. Imagine a couple from here on the Megabus!

Put these different cultures in a block of flats and you have an eventual pressure cooker waiting to go off, with some playing "Boom, boom, boom" music every hour that God sends whilst others prefer something a little quieter in English.

Inter cultural relationships could also be a factor. The 40 year old divorcee I mentioned in another thread has two mixed race children to different fathers of very different racial backgrounds. How do they work out their identity when their fathers are nowhere to be seen?

Housing is becoming smaller, where new houses are built closer together and are smaller in size, new high rise flats have more units and are taller than ever.

People are becoming taller and bigger than 37 years ago.

Children are learning more information than they did 37 years ago and we adults have to try and keep up with them!

I mean I have only just touched the tip of the iceburg when it comes to social behaviour. I'm sure that when we analyse more we can see that our whole perspective of life in so many ways has changed, even when it comes to pollution.

In the 70's I lived in a town called Heywood (between Rochdale and Bury) in the Greater Manchester area. On our estate everybody had a coal fire and on a winter's morning, smog was rife - remember the smoking back to backs at the start of Coronation Street? Nowadays everybody has a clean gas or electric fire. Cars are more fuel efficient, even though there are a lot more of them. My dad in the 70's had a smokey old Skoda and a Austin 1100. They always smelled of petrol when he started them up to take us out.

Less trains are diesel, companies using electricity more. Most of the steel works are closed as are the dirty pits and power stations. Could it be that lack of work produces these mental conditions also?

What I'm trying to get at is that there must be 1001 different reasons why there is a rise in mental illnesses. It would be interesting to know, in percentage terms relative to population growth each of these factors have on mental health.

Food for thought.

Best regards.

Last edited by Grumplebum on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks for all replies to this thread. I love a good debate!

Just thought I deal with a couple of points you touch upon, Grumple. I'm at stinky work at the mo so not got much time.

Childhood is a relatively new phenomenon - in the 19th Century, kids went out to work when they were 5 years told, they were treated like little adults - this is reminiscent in the way they were dressed as little adults. The concept of childhood began to gain precedence in around 19th Century when they could be more commodatised. Even so, life was tough for kids before the industrial revolution, most working in the work houses or down the mines or as servants.

The concept of childhood occurred after the industrial revolution when families had increased leisure time. In 1970s were the first studies into this new phenomenon of childhood. Childhood these days is, in fact, getting longer with full time education going up to the age of 18 in England let alone higher ed.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:29 pm

But yes, of course, all psychiatric disorders cannot be blamed on willfil poisoning but I would bet that a lot of 'modern' psychiatric disorders have a lot to do with pollution, even though, generally, the west's nutrition has improved considerably.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi nongeneration,

Yes, you're absolutely right. Which also begs the question, "What role did these changes make (if any) to mental health"?

In ANY upheaval / brusque behavioural pattern, there must be consequences. We are only human after all..... or are we? :lol:

Like I said, you opened a huge can of worms!

Best regards.

Thanks for all replies to this thread. I love a good debate!

Just thought I deal with a couple of points you touch upon, Grumple. I'm at stinky work at the mo so not got much time.

Childhood is a relatively new phenomenon - in the 19th Century, kids went out to work when they were 5 years told, they were treated like little adults - this is reminiscent in the way they were dressed as little adults. The concept of childhood began to gain precedence in around 19th Century when they could be more commodatised. Even so, life was tough for kids before the industrial revolution, most working in the work houses or down the mines or as servants.

The concept of childhood occurred after the industrial revolution when families had increased leisure time. In 1970s were the first studies into this new phenomenon of childhood. Childhood these days is, in fact, getting longer with full time education going up to the age of 18 in England let alone higher ed.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Why would you bet on it? I suppose it depends on what type of pollution you were on about. I could understand noise pollution or visual pollution or even smelly pollution for those that live next to rubbish tips etc.

What is the ratio of mental health cases say in the center of a major city and a small market town in Dorset? Basing it on your theory, the small market town shouldn't have one case, well perhaps one, of a native with mental health problemsn nor would they in the Highlands of Scotland where pollution is at the minimum.

But, as I see it, like I said in another thread, most psychiatric conditions have never been proven, they are inventions made up by the psychiatric professions. They meet up each year with new 'illnesses' to be added to their big book of mental health diseases (which are not diseases, as they are not clinical).

Best regards.

But yes, of course, all psychiatric disorders cannot be blamed on willfil poisoning but I would bet that a lot of 'modern' psychiatric disorders have a lot to do with pollution, even though, generally, the west's nutrition has improved considerably.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Grumple, I will probably incorporate them in a new thread to discuss it further at a later date.

Quote:
up by the psychiatric professions

Have you ever worked with Autistic children? Been around someone with bipolar disorder? Schizophrenia? Romantic philosphising about how depressed people and schizophrenics may see the world in more realistic terms only has its place in academia. Real life is vastly different - when your sense of self and analog "I" and sense of time is being lost you are losing your personality and identity. These disorders are very real, very frightening for all involved.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi nongeneration,

I've never worked with Autistic children, but have mixed with Schitzophrenic people.

This last paragraph I know what you mean. When my mother died, a couple of years after my father, my sister, who is a little older than me said, "You know, now it's just us, we have no more family".

That to me was quite a statement to take in all in one go, being put like that.

I think that when we are taken out of a situation of which we are so accustomed to and put into a 'world' so different, we tend to feel vulnerable and perplexed, which is quite normal. Anxiety is normal.

Best regards.

Quote:
Real life is vastly different - when your sense of self and analog "I" and sense of time is being lost you are losing your personality and identity. These disorders are very real, very frightening for all involved.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Quote:
most psychiatric conditions have never been proven

Mental illness is quite real and its at epidemic proportions. I can understand not liking how the "system" describes it or exploits it, but they are there.
According to my research it would not matter if you live in timbuktu the poisoning is world wide.
I like to think of it as how clean is the fish bowl.

Next its the overall double think, coupled with the lack of self depth people have. This encourages double messages and people cant process this, so they deny parts of themselves and Mental illness occurs.

I think this baseline is exasperated depending on your dependence to the system with its nutrition and education systems.

I think the Radiation, chemical poisoning, is mutating gene expression furthering the Core of psychosis.
There is not one item that can be the source I think, its a conglomerate of pieces working together.

If our leaders would think out of the box much like this post, we would be in better shape.
Everyone is looking for the Silver Bullet but thats just a Myth.
It does not kill Wearwolves...

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2