Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Truth hurts? 
Site Admin

Post Truth hurts?
If you tell the truth, and it causes someone else pain, did you do something wrong? Or did the other person do something wrong?

Should the truth hurt us? If I am old, fat, and ugly, and someone tells me exactly that, should I feel hurt?

I'll tell you what happens when someone calls me old, fat, and ugly. I typically reply, "You got that right!" If I'm feeling especially observant and truthful, I might even reply, "Youth, fitness, and beauty are in the eye of the beholder." Both replies are true! I'm older than I used to be, fatter than I used to be, and uglier than I used to be. But I can find people next to whom I appear young, fit, and beautiful (though their mothers might disagree).

The key question here is: Should the truth hurt? I recognize that others can be hurt by the truth, but whose fault is that?

The key answer is: NO, the truth should not hurt! If we are hurt by the truth, it's our own damn fault.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]