Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
300 Year Old Food Forest in Vietnam 

Post 300 Year Old Food Forest in Vietnam
Whilst Geoff was in Vietnam he discovered a 300 year old Food Forest built on 2 acres of land and still functioning well in the same family 28 generations later

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:42 am

Post Re: 300 Year Old Food Forest in Vietnam
Using Chickens to Control Pests in a Food Forest

Chickens are your much needed partners in controlling pests such as fruit fly when your Food Forest System is being established. From Geoff Lawton's new DVD "Establishing a Food Forest - The Permaculture Way"
More info: www.ecofilms.com.au

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:48 am

2,000 Year Old Food Forest in Morocco

The location of the Food Forest known to the local population as Paradise Valley is about 12km inland from Tamraght on the coast of Morocco below the Grissafane Mountain Range. See Flashtoonz,com for map details.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:50 am

Re-Hydrating the Landscape

Tony Coote from Mulloon Creek Natural Farms speaking about repairing his farm based on the work of Peter Andrews of Natural Sequence Farming and Geoff Lawton's enormous Permaculture swale network that was built to re-hydrate his land and bring it back to fertility and stability. This is part of a larger documentary project that is currently in production. More info: http://www.ecofilms.com.au/

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:53 am

Living Forest Communities

Video discussing Living Forest Communities.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:02 am
Whilst Geoff was in Vietnam he discovered a 300 year old Food Forest built on 2 acres of land and still functioning well in the same family 28 generations later

An interesting video, although I have a different view of it to the presenter. He seems to suggest that this whole forest was planted (created) and nurtured by this family. Whilst I acknowledge that this could be true, what seems more likely is that this family have indeed lived in this forest for many many generations and the 'Human' world has been developed around it leaving an ancient 'island' of forest. What is surprising and very refreshing, is that they have been left alone by their 'governments' / owners for so long.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 am
Site Admin

I've always wanted my own food forest. That, along with caring neighbors, is real wealth.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks L&G great topic.

I had the good fortune to visit "Paradise Valley" in Morocco almost thirty years ago. I can still remember the hours of driving through mountains and deserts in my beloved Renault 4 to get there, unfortunately we were politely asked to leave there after setting up camp by a couple of cops with AK47s. I think the reason for this was because we might have upset a local's donkey earlier that day, but the cops told us it was because of the danger from poisonous spiders & scorpions! Truly a "magical place" shame we were unable to stay longer.

The Valley of the Hippies in Morocco

QRK: QifUSqn6ygXK61pEkm2g4iBY9ZcLw4g4su
FCK: FettxKyQVhsSURZt1XQxUTypwxEeBbTgUQ

Please visit http://forum.qrk.cc/ for all things Crypto!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Morocco............that is my next destination. I love the artwork, the food, the fabrics and I am sure I would love the culture.

We can learn so much from societies that have been self-sufficent for 1,000's of years.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]