Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Wasting our energy 
Site Admin

Post Wasting our energy
First, we dig up a lot of rock and crush it. This takes time, effort, and very heavy equipment that consumes a lot of fuel, which is burned in the engines. That consumes a lot of oxygen that living things like ourselves need to breathe, but we never worry about that.

Then the rock is transported to a factory, often far away, sometimes across the ocean. More time, effort, and fuel is consumed.

At the factory, a very hot (200 degrees C) mixture of water and lye is mixed with the crushed rock. The particulates are filtered out and thrown away. Lots of energy is used to heat the liquid initially and dispose of the particulate matter. The caustic liquid is then allowed to cool, causing a solid precipitate to settle out of the liquid. The precipitate is collected and dried, then it's heated to 1000 degrees C to melt it (lots more energy consumed here).

While melted in this hot liquid state, a strong electric current, using millions of amps factory-wide, is passed through the liquid (lots more energy required for that). A pure, molten metal is produced. By the way, the required electrical energy is so great, you need to have your own hydroelectric dam nearby. I won't even try to explain how much time, effort, and energy was needed to create that hydroelectric dam. Needless to say, it's HUGE.

The metal is cooled and rolled into sheets. The sheets are transported (more energy) to another factory where they are formed into containers (more energy), filled with filtered water (more energy to obtain and transport that) and corn syrup (lots more energy to produce, grow, transport, and process that), and then shipped all over the world (OMG, still more energy).

We're almost done.

Individuals, using machinery called SUVs (weighing tons that took enormous amounts of time, effort, and energy to manufacture), purchase and consume lots of fuel (itself produced at enormous energy and transportation costs) to travel to distribution points and purchase the metal containers full of syrup water. All of these purchases require money, which itself required vast amounts of time, effort, and energy to obtain. All of these smiling individuals return to their home areas, where they store the containers until they are transported to other locations, opened, and eight ounces of syrup water, known to be disruptive to the proper biochemistry of the body, is ingested.

Then, get this, the flawless container made of highly refined, nearly pure elemental aluminum metal, is THROWN AWAY, after only a single use! It is often crushed and returned to the earth in a landfill!

If that isn't collective insanity, then I don't know what is.

Surprise, there is also an energy crisis. And an environmental crisis. And a health crisis. And an economic crisis. And non-stop war, which is a behavioral crisis that greatly contributes to all the other crises.

Geez-us Crises!

We do it for this.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:55 am

Post Re: Wasting our energy
Sad isn't it?
Here's a great article from Mother Jones:

Makes you think twice about ever ordering anything online.

I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave
My brief, backbreaking, rage-inducing, low-paying, dildo-packing time inside the online-shipping machine.
http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/02 ... uses-labor

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:44 am

and this:
Is Walmart Really Going Organic and Local?
http://motherjones.com/environment/2012 ... od-deserts

CHART: How Many Sweatshops Does It Take to Make This T-Shirt?
Your clothing's long, strange trip from Chinese cotton field to big box to dresser drawer.
http://motherjones.com/environment/2012 ... ps-t-shirt

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:48 am

the story of stuff

http://www.storyofstuff.org/

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:05 pm
Site Admin

This is garbage!

Look what I found on my walk yesterday.

The technology involved in a CO2 cartridge is mind-boggling. First, it's made from strong steel, so you have to know how to mine the ore, process it, refine it, formulate the appropriate alloy, and shape it. That in itself is pretty amazing and involved technology, and that's just to get the steel! You still need to make the cartridge, like this:

How it's Made: 12gram CO2 Cartridge

These little steel containers hold gas within them that exerts 850 psi of pressure! My heavy steel portable air tank is only considered safe up to 150 psi. After that, you risk an explosion. But we toss these cartridges around with no worries.

But here's the insane part. We use these high-tech cartridges one time, and then we throw them away! They end up in a landfill! They are not refilled or reused or recycled. They are just tossed aside, like the one I found lying in the road.

Humans have got to be one of the most idiotic creatures in the universe.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:35 pm
Site Admin

Speaking of things we throw away, the most unbelievable of all is ... dirt. Yes, we throw away dirt. Only humans are insane enough to turn dirt into a waste product that must be disposed of. We waste untold amounts of time and energy to collect the dirt, bag it up, truck it around, and neatly store it trying to figure out how to dispose of it.

Are we insane, or what?

Most of us are not insane, but a small minority of humans with a very bad psychology rise to our highest leadership positions by fooling us, and once in power, they make the worst decisions humans are capable of. They are called sociopaths. The video below shows how sociopaths trick us into destroying our own planet.

Nuclear Waste: Drone buzzes Fukushima temporary storage facility

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]