Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
5 best energy-efficient light bulbs 

Post 5 best energy-efficient light bulbs
[b]NOW WE ALL USE LIGHT BULBS. OF COURSE NOT THE AL GORE PROTO TYPE. KILLERS.

http://www.renewableenergygeek.ca/energ ... nt-part-1/

EDIT..... THIS IS THE ONE NOT TO BUY.............

If there’s one thing that gets under my skin, it’s the one sided truth about compact fluorescent light bulbs.

And if you’re fed up with skyrocketing energy bills or the damage inflicted on our environment, I’m sure you’ve seen plenty of hype for these light bulbs.

These “energy efficient light bulbs” are supposed to drastically reduce your power bills and green house gas emissions that are linked with “global warming”.

Don’t get me wrong. I do like lower power bills and a sustainable planet for my children and future generations.

But the simple fact is…

There’s a dark shadow cast by compact fluorescent light bulbs on your health and the environment that you should know about!

Before I tell you all about it let’s quickly go over the benefits of CFLs that we’ve been force fed by the media, industry, and governments.

By now you and I have been led to believe compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs are great! After all, they use 75% less electricity. They’re four times more efficient than incandescent light bulbs, meaning a 13 Watt CFL would give off as much light as a 60 Watt incandescent. Prices have dropped so much over the last few years that CFL bulbs are a bargain compared to the cost of incandescent bulbs. Heck they even last up to ten times longer than incandescent bulbs.

This is great for the environment because it reduces greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants created by fossil-fuel power plants. As an added bonus you save money by having to purchase less CFL bulbs compared to incandescent bulbs. Plus, your electric bill is reduced too!

Governments are mandating CFL use and banning incandescent light bulbs. Media, industry, and governments have “screwed” the benefits of CFL bulbs into the deepest sockets of our mind.

In a nutshell, we have been led to believe CFL bulbs are good for the environment, the energy crisis, our bank account, and global warming, right?

I thought so until I heard this…

Investigation Announced into Potential Dangers of Compact Florescent Lights

Always believing CFLs were a good thing, I was surprised to hear my local radio station, AM800 CKLW in Windsor Ontario, announce Health Canada was measuring exposure levels of CFL bulb’s potentially harmful electromagnetic-field and ultraviolet radiation levels.

I decided to investigate energy-saving compact fluorescent light bulbs to uncover the truth.

My Research Into Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Was Shocking

In the end I discovered there’s a dark side to compact fluorescent light bulbs.

You will soon see three areas of concern to your health and the environment. The question is have they been downplayed. They include toxic mercury, ultraviolet radiation, and electromagnetic fields. These are what I call “CFLs Triple Threat”.

As you continue reading, I’ll explain what I found about each threat in more detail. But before doing so you should know…

Lots of people are reporting serious health problems they are convinced come from compact fluorescent light bulbs

Some symptoms they complain about include…

Mild to severe Headaches (Migraines)

Skin Irritation, redness, burning sensations, and or itchiness

Dizziness and Nausea

Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and Earaches

Numbness and Tingling sensations

Tired, Weak and Fatigued

Difficulty Sleeping / Restlessness

Chest Pains / Heart Problems

Poor Memory and Concentration

Irritability

Feelings of Stress and Anxiety

Depression and Mood Swings

Difficulty breathing

Muscle and joint pain

Pain and pressure in the eyes

The big question: Are Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs really responsible for causing these health problems?

I suspect the CFL Triple Threats are a major part of what’s behind it all. So in the next several blog posts I’ll examine the details of toxic mercury, U.V. radiation, and electromagnetic fields and how this ties into energy efficient light bulbs, the environment and the potential danger to your health.

In the mean time here’s proof that compact fluorescent light bulbs can be dangerous to your health. Go ahead and watch this video and you’ll be shocked!

EDIT..............

Which light bulbs are the most energy-efficient?
CFL bulbs are the most popular, but LEDs might just be worth your investment. Find out why.

There are two main types of commercially available energy-efficient light bulbs: LEDs and CFLs. Both are better than traditional incandescent light bulbs when it comes to energy efficiency, but their practicality in consumer households is variable. So, to help you decide which bulbs are best for your buck, we have compiled the facts, allowing you to make an informed purchasing decision.

Comparing the energy efficiency of LEDs, CFLs and incandescent bulbs
You can determine the efficiency of light bulbs by comparing the amount of light produced to the amount of energy consumed. Your goal should be to find the fixture that emits the most light with the least amount of energy consumed — at the best price for your budget. However, leaving price aside, research shows that LED light bulbs are the most energy-efficient. LED bulbs produce 90 to 112 lumens per watt. Compact fluorescent lamps produce 40 to 70 lumens per watt, and traditional incandescent bulb fixtures only produce 10 to 17 lumens per watt. So, from a purely scientific point of view, LEDs are the most energy-efficient bulbs.

Compact fluorescent lamp (CFL)
Compact fluorescent lamps, also called CFLs, are the most popular energy-efficient bulbs. They have a lifespan of eight to 10 years and cost about $4 per bulb. Fluorescent light bulbs used to be notorious for the odd color of light they produced. However, in recent years, fluorescent light bulbs have evolved and now come in a full spectrum of light colors that are ideal for kitchens, bathrooms and other rooms where abundant overhead lighting is needed. One of the main downsides to CFLs is that they contain mercury and therefore make safe disposal difficult.

Light-emitting diode (LED)
LED bulbs consume the least power and have the longest lifespan, lasting up to 40 or 50 years. LEDs cost about $36 per bulb. This kind of bulb is both energy-efficient and environmentally friendly, as it does not contain mercury or lead like CFLs do. LEDs also function much better than CFLs when it comes to using dimmer switches. The LED color spectrum is still in development. As of right now, LED bulbs only come in two varieties: cool white light and warm white light. Cool white light is used for task lighting and warm white light is best for accent lighting. The major downside with LEDs is the price. You get more bang for your buck, but many people aren't willing to give up that many bucks up front.

A cost-comparison analysis done by Eartheasy.com shows that both LEDs and CFLs will save you upward of $10,000 over a 10-year period. The savings for consumers who use LED bulbs will add up to about $2,000 more. In the end, though, the choice comes down to your personal needs. If you can't afford to pay $36 per bulb at the start of your energy-efficient home makeover, or if you're looking for a wider spectrum of light color, then CFLs are the way to go. On the other hand, if you're looking for the most energy-efficient bulbs, LEDs are the choice for you.

Last edited by loveandgratitude on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:12 am
Site Admin

Post Re: 5 best energy-efficient light bulbs
What good is light bulb efficiency when you have to pay $25 for one light bulb? That's 100 times more expensive that what I used to pay for an incandescent bulb. Is it 100 times more efficient? Not even close.

LED lights may be the answer. I have a small 9-LED flashlight that runs on three AAA batteries. It retails for $1.99 but is cheap enough to give away if you come to the store, which is how I got mine. It throws out a lot of light using very little electricity.

But none of the featured lights in the article were LED! So, what's up with that?

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Eco-friendly Light Bulbs ContainToxic Chemicals
http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/eco-friendly-light-bulbs-containtoxic-chemicals/
Quote:
Did you hear somewhere that these new, eco-friendly, compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) were the best thing that ever happened in the world of light bulbs? That they can outlast 12 regular light bulbs? That they’ll make you save tens of thousands of dollars by switching to them? That those who did not switch to CFL did not care about the planet (and are therefore eco-terrorist)? Well, I hope you did not fall for this crap. Since 2007, numerous studies proved that CFLs contained dangerous amounts of mercury which, as seen in the VC article entitled Dumbing Down Society Part 2: Mercury in Foods and Vaccines, caused brain neuron degeneration. In other words, it makes you dumber. When these bulbs break (which often happens when thrown in the garbage), the mercury contained within is released.

Other recent studies proved that another type of eco-friendly bulb, the LED’s (used in new generation Christmas lights) also contained high levels of toxic chemicals. Here’s an article from Natural News on the subject.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 pm

:oops:

Posted the wrong article. EDITED and replaced the article.

Yes, you are correct. The problem with Halogen is that they have a transformer box which uses a lot of electicity to convert, hence using a lot of electricity. (Personally I like the light from the Halogen lamps).

LED are the way forward it seems.

WHAT DO YOU ALL KNOW ABOUT WHAT IS THE BEST ENEGERY EFFICENT LIGHT THAT WILL NOT KILL YOU?

Last edited by loveandgratitude on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 pm

:jest:

Incredibly I dont know, what wont kill you. Over here our Energy Department is giving Free CFL light bulbs for every Household. Hmmmmmm. I will do some more research and compare notes.
That could be the phrase of the day. What wont kill ya!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:17 pm

A lot of people seem angry over the incandescent light bulbs being phased out, regardless of the “greener” bulbs being more efficient. The more costly bulbs really save money by doing the same job for longer, on less power. According to Forbes, any of the bulbs that do fit the new standards are more expensive, such as the new EnduraLED 10W A19 Dimmable Bulb from Phillips, which goes for $60. Well, assuming the CFL and LED bulbs last as long as they are rated for, spending more for the green bulb will result in more green in the pocket in the long run. Source of article: More expensive light bulbs can save money in long run.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 am
Site Admin

A lot of people seem angry over the incandescent light bulbs being phased out, regardless of the “greener” bulbs being more efficient. The more costly bulbs really save money by doing the same job for longer, on less power. According to Forbes, any of the bulbs that do fit the new standards are more expensive, such as the new EnduraLED 10W A19 Dimmable Bulb from Phillips, which goes for $60. Well, assuming the CFL and LED bulbs last as long as they are rated for, spending more for the green bulb will result in more green in the pocket in the long run.

Wait, do the math. A 75W bulb costs about $0.30. The 10W EnduraLED costs $60. So it costs 200 times more, but uses about one seventh the electricity. Even allowing for longer bulb life, I think we are being sold a load of bunk.

And don't forget the video "The Light Bulb Conspiracy", once viewable on UP, which interestingly enough has been pulled by YouTube and can no longer be found!

Coincidence? I don't think so. Do the math. Oh, that's right, I forgot -- they've dumbed us down, and no one knows how to do the math any more!

Blasted sociopaths!

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:00 am

Quote:
Coincidence? I don't think so. Do the math. Oh, that's right, I forgot -- they've dumbed us down, and no one knows how to do the math any more!

Blasted sociopaths!

Yep, that and common sense.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:02 pm

A lot of people seem angry over the incandescent light bulbs being phased out, regardless of the “greener” bulbs being more efficient. The more costly bulbs really save money by doing the same job for longer, on less power. According to Forbes, any of the bulbs that do fit the new standards are more expensive, such as the new EnduraLED 10W A19 Dimmable Bulb from Phillips, which goes for $60. Well, assuming the CFL and LED bulbs last as long as they are rated for, spending more for the green bulb will result in more green in the pocket in the long run.

Wait, do the math. A 75W bulb costs about $0.30. The 10W EnduraLED costs $60. So it costs 200 times more, but uses about one seventh the electricity. Even allowing for longer bulb life, I think we are being sold a load of bunk.

And don't forget the video "The Light Bulb Conspiracy", once viewable on UP, which interestingly enough has been pulled by YouTube and can no longer be found!

Blasted sociopaths!

On the other front:

These new lightbulbs suck!!!!

They do not turn on, they make noise, they sometimes take a minute to light, etc. Google light bulbs new york city for the biggest lightbulb store in the world, they also shed some light on this debate 8-)

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]