Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Government's "Space Weather" Page 

Post Government's "Space Weather" Page
http://urbansurvival.com/week.htm

I'll admit that sometimes we get a little wonky, living as we do usually 10-minutes to 10-years in advance of many secular events, but more than one reader who thought we were a bit "over-the-top" on worries about Sun-based events like EMP and Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) are having to rethink a bit since the government's own Ready.gov site now featuresa a "Space Weather" Page.

As we have mentioned many times, and now the government site, too, mentions the Carrington event in September of 1859, and (again much as we have speculated on previously) the experts behind Ready.gov list pretty much the same kinds of threats that we see should a modern replay be at hand as Solar Cycle 24 peaks over the next year and a half:

•Loss of water and wastewater distribution systems

•Loss of perishable foods and medications

•Loss of heating/air conditioning and electrical lighting systems

•Loss of computer systems, telephone systems, and communications systems (including disruptions in airline flights, satellite networks and GPS services)

•Loss of public transportation systems

•Loss of fuel distribution systems and fuel pipelines

•Loss of all electrical systems that do not have back-up power

None of which is unmanageable, except for the grid part, since large HV distribution system transformers don't grow on trees, and come to think of it, I don't know if we make many of them here in the former industrial power once called America.

My point for starting off on this sobering note is simple: As one reader said, "It's not a good sign when ready.gov is telling you to prepare for space weather."

We can skip all the Kafka-esque and double-binds that go with being a nutjob when I write about prepping on the one hand, while government's got pages like this up, on the other. I know there's a line between prepping and hoarding, but would someone please point me to the distinction in governese?

I think prepping is when it's well in advance of events and hoarding is in reaction to a specific event, but damned if I can find a CFR or federal policy guidance on that...which leaves an uncomfortably wide range open to interpretation, don'tcha think?

http://www.ready.gov/space-weather

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Post Re: Government's "Space Weather" Page
Personal opinion here lol. These are my definitions of prepping and hoarding. I have no idea what the government definitions are and do not really care. Apologies to NB if this is not what you are discussing.

Prepping - Realizing that shit happens. For example, you live in Tornado alley so you have a cellar stocked with food and water 'just in case'. OR you live in Florida and keep supplies in case of hurricanes. Whatever your reason, you keep supplies in case of emergency. You routinely rotate your supplies to keep them fresh.

Hoarding - You don't pay attention to life and at the last minute, during an emergency you run out and buy whatever you can find on the shelves. You are stuck in the stores with all the other 'dumbasses' that waited till the last minute and you get lots of stuff you don't really need and not enough of what you do. (Hey! I've got a bunch of AA batteries and nothing I own uses AA batteries but what the hell!)

JMO

Stormborn

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Sort of on topic sort of off but it does concern "space weather" of sorts: did any one here see "Melancholia"? I don't know how well reviewed it was and I don't go to the movies myself (too expensive) but I downloaded it.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/melancholia/trailers/

The person who left the single comment on that page thought it was the dumbest movie EVER.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:40 pm

So what's your plan then NB? Gotta be more than just hoarding..

Thanks for the info.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I`m at the point where i really wonder if saving humanity is worth it and if something is going to happen i hope i`m in the right spot so i go first so i don`t have to put up with the Dumb ass`s who are left

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:46 pm

I`m at the point where i really wonder if saving humanity is worth it and if something is going to happen i hope i`m in the right spot so i go first so i don`t have to put up with the Dumb ass`s who are left

i wonder the same myself on dark days, NB. Hang tough. Nothing's going to happen and Melancholia is just another movie playing upon people's 2012 and Elenin fears. I wish i could give you a big hug in person but I can't so I will post one instead even though I suspect you hate all that mushy stuff.

I can't help it. Come here you big lug.

Sincerely,

Mouse

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:04 pm
Site Admin

I'm at the point where i really wonder if saving humanity is worth it

Been there, done that. It's a shame that things have to get so bad that so many of us contemplate this question.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]