Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Taking the heat 
Site Admin

Post Taking the heat
It's the summer of 1980 in Dallas, TX. And it's freaking hot.

I recall riding my motorcycle as a young man during the big heat wave of 1980 when we had 42 days in a row over 100 degrees (38 degrees C). On that particular day, it was 113 degrees (45C)!

It was so hot, I was practically naked on the motorcycle, wearing just shorts and sneakers. I was looking for relief from the heat. I wanted to keep moving, to generate a breeze in the still air, to try to stay cool. Unfortunately, no matter how fast I went, there was no cooling down to be found.

I still remember the funny thought that crossed my mind as I was flying down the highway:

"So this is what it's like being in a blast furnace."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Unite ... _heat_wave

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:20 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Taking the heat
You may be wondering what that first post is all about. "Chico's getting all weird on us." Yes, I actually read that on Nexus shortly before being banned. Sorry for the oversight, I should have explained.

Lord Sidious sent me a link via Skype. Evidently, there's a heat wave brewing in Perth, Australia. They define a heat wave as three days with high temperatures over 38 degrees C. I thought that was kind of quaint, given what a heat wave looks like in Texas (you know everything's bigger in Texas!), one that I had actually lived through. So I was tripping down Memory Lane a bit, rummaging around in my failing gray matter, and decided to document what I discovered not only in my head, but on Wikipedia to boot!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:02 am

When living in India, sometimes we would stay in Dehli during the summer. 45 to 48 degrees every day till the monsoons pour down and drowned everyone.

During the heat of the day the Indians go inside for a sleep, so it is the best time to do business.
My memories are riding motor bikes in the blistering heat and know that blast furance you are speaking about.

Here is a photo of my bike - 1942 Ariel. This photo was taken up in the mountains where we had a summer house in Mussoorie UP. I love that place so much.

Attachment:
9 Ariel 350 north of Rishikesh 1980.JPG
9 Ariel 350 north of Rishikesh 1980.JPG [ 77.33 KiB | Viewed 8647 times ]

We used to restore old motorcycles in India amoungst other things.

This is a photo of a restored INDIAN motorcycle, which we then took to Europe to sell in Germany.

Attachment:
11 Chief Safdarjung airport.JPG
11 Chief Safdarjung airport.JPG [ 79.85 KiB | Viewed 8647 times ]

Last edited by loveandgratitude on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:27 am
Site Admin

When living in India, sometimes we would stay in Dehli during the summer. 45 to 48 degrees every day till the monsoons pour down and drowned everyone.

Oh my, 48 degrees C! That is hot. 118 degrees F.

Nice pictures -- thanks!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:49 pm

This is the 1942 Back Indian Chief.

Attachment:
Indian Chief Gurdial Singh 2.JPG
Indian Chief Gurdial Singh 2.JPG [ 89.98 KiB | Viewed 8631 times ]

And these were the two amazing angels that rebuild the engines. Gurdail Singh used to sit the engines on his lap and sing holy songs to the engines. He promised they would start first go and they did. GOD BLESS HIM and HIS FAMILY. I love Gurdail Singh. He told me so many fantastic stories.

Attachment:
Indian Chief Gurdial Singh.JPG
Indian Chief Gurdial Singh.JPG [ 108.05 KiB | Viewed 8631 times ]

This is a car that belonged to an Indian friend of ours.

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 12.54 KiB | Viewed 8631 times ]

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:58 am

My daughters boyfriend's Youtube video of him and his friend doing Freesytle.

Motorcycle riding is what many young boys do around here in the country for entertainment.

My daughter is just learning how to ride a bike.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 am

There is a story behind this bike. A story that changed history. This photo is the testimony to that fateful day. A lot of the photographs we took were sold to magazines. This one I found downloaded into a Bike Collectors Forum by a friend of my partners.

Attachment:
scan0002b.JPG
scan0002b.JPG [ 199.85 KiB | Viewed 8628 times ]

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:01 am
Site Admin

There is a story behind this bike. A story that changed history.

Can you tell the story?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:10 am

Great pics, Grats!

Being born Indian, I remember playing on my maternal grandfather's estate during the dry season. The polished stone at the front entrance would heat up to temperatures that could turn an ice cube into superheated steam in the blink of an eye ... and I'm not exaggerating all that much.

Never knew stone could get that hot without being orange at the same time.

:jest:

Flight that sends into the clouds brings wings to rest upon the boughs. Then further down to the liquid lawn, to serve as sentries for the gliding swan. Curve, a perfect turning of the line between here and Heaven, with extensions into infinitum.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:16 am

I will tell the story but I will do it in the members only section.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next