Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
How Do I become a Dawkinist? 

Post How Do I become a Dawkinist?
This was a question asked by Steven at Yahoo Answers with some of the posted answers:

Quote:
How Do I become a Dawkinist?

Steven asked 5 years ago

I have been following the teachings of Richard Dawkins and I was wondering, what does it take to become a follower of Dawkins. I think he is like the Jesus of a new religion only better. Are there any books I have to read or special clothes that I have to wear? Also, what are the rules of being a Dawkinist?

Quote:
Antique Silver Buttons answered 5 years ago

You must fast for three days and three nights, and then go into the woods during a full moon and build a fire. You must burn juniper roots, sage leaves and cedar bark upon the fire, so as to make a pleasing aroma unto the Dawk. When the moon is fully risen, dance around the fire in a clockwise direction seven times while singing "Ding-Dong, the Witch is Dead." Also, rattle some beads or something, that always helps. Then you must partake of the Sacred Happy Meal of McDonalds and drink of the Holy Carbonated Beverage. Only then will you be a true follower of the Great Dawk.

This worked. I now live in the glowing light of the Dawk.

Quote:

S.E.P. answered 5 years ago

Believe Nothing. Because that's what Dawkins does. He preaches on the virtues of Nothing, trying to convert people to Nothing. He's creating himself as the Jesus of Nothing. You are wanting to convert to a religion that worships Nothing as it's God. Become a disciple of Nothing.

But the problem is, he himself is Nothing. His... atheology? is Nothing. It will leave you with no fulfillment, no hope, no happiness, because it is nothing. Nothing can't give you anything, because it is Nothing.

Source...

QRK: QifUSqn6ygXK61pEkm2g4iBY9ZcLw4g4su
FCK: FettxKyQVhsSURZt1XQxUTypwxEeBbTgUQ

Please visit http://forum.qrk.cc/ for all things Crypto!

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:50 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: How Do I become a Dawkinist?
andywight wrote:
... and then go into the woods during a full moon and build a fire.

NOOOooo.... ! I was sure the specially constructed fire pit in my back yard would be sufficient! Why must I go into the woods? Why?! WHY!

Woe is me, I did it wrong. :lol:

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:24 pm
Site Admin

Rupert makes some great points here, primarily that Dawkins has fallen into the certainty trap. Any belief system, whether based on scientific evidence or intuitive feelings, is at risk of narrowing its perspective due to the certainty of being right, or the certainty of not being wrong. Yet all of truth-seeking is the pursuit of certainty of being right. So is it any wonder that truth-seekers fall so often into this trap? I point to Zook as an example.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 pm

All in the Mind

Quote:
The ultimate achievement of reason ... is to recognise that there are an
infinity of things that surpass it. – Blaise Pascal 1623-62

After reading Richard Dawkins’ The Selfish Gene I was a convert to Neo-Darwinian genetics. In that best-selling work life is traced to individual genes, each seeking to confer advantage on the ‘replicator’, which carries the genes, in order to survive through reproduction. ‘Successful’ genes are passed on, unchanged, to descendents.

Its title alone reveals an analysis that sees human life, and nature more generally, as characterised by competition rather than cooperation. That my actions, thoughts and emotions were reduced to a battle for expression between DNA sequences generated slight despondency; idealism, morality and kindness are simply ‘memes’: ideas that, like genes, proved durable in evolution.

Intriguingly, The Selfish Gene was the favourite book of Jeffrey Skilling, CEO of Enron. He interpreted Neo-Darwinism to mean that selfishness was ultimately good, even for its victims, because it weeded out ‘losers’
and forced ‘survivors’ to become strong.

Over time I developed a more nuanced view of the world. An awareness of the limitation of human intelligence (especially my own) and of the historical specificity of any position made me reluctant to accept any one
explanation in full.

Read more...

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 am
Site Admin

andywight wrote:
"Its title alone reveals an analysis that sees human life, and nature more generally, as characterised by competition rather than cooperation."

How easy it is to misinterpret things. It's so easy.

What I learned from "The Selfish Gene" is that there is a balance between competition and cooperation in Nature. Genes play a role, but so does the environment (the old nature/nurture controversy). The third edition of "The Selfish Gene", the one I was fortunate enough to read, contains a vital chapter that is not in the prior versions. That chapter highlights the complexity of that balance between competition and cooperation, and it expanded my mind like nothing else in the book.

I wonder what edition Frank Armstrong read...

He (Sheldrake) argues: ‘The very idea of a law of nature is anthropocentric’, and asserts that ‘eternal laws are embedded in the thinking of most scientists’.

A great example of this is Robert Lanza arguing for biocentrism based on the illusion that the "constants" of the universe (which Sheldrake suggests may not be constant at all) are perfectly tuned for life to exist, and thus must be derived from life itself. That's pretty anthropocentric, wouldn't you say? Not to mention a source of cognitive dissonance, if you happen to believe both Lanza and Sheldrake.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]