Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
DoubleThink 

Post DoubleThink
Doublethink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink
Quote:
Doublethink, a word coined by George Orwell in the novel 1984, describes the act of simultaneously accepting two mutually contradictory beliefs as correct, often in distinct social contexts.[1] It is related to, but distinct from, hypocrisy and neutrality. Its opposite is cognitive dissonance, where the two beliefs cause conflict in one's mind. Doublethink is an integral concept of George Orwell's dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. The word doublethink is part of Newspeak.

Code:
According to the novel, doublethink is:
“   To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself -- that was the ultimate subtlety; consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink.[2]

Quote:
“ The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them....To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies - all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.[2]

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:40 am

Post Re: DoubleThink
Doublespeak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublespeak
Quote:
Doublespeak is language that deliberately disguises, distorts, or reverses the meaning of words. Doublespeak may take the form of euphemisms (e.g., "downsizing" for layoffs,"servicing the target" for bombing [1]), making the truth less unpleasant, without denying its nature. It may also be deployed as intentional ambiguity, or reversal of meaning (for example, naming a state of war "peace"). In such cases, doublespeak disguises the nature of the truth, producing a communication bypass.

Quote:
Edward S. Herman, political economist and media analyst, has highlighted some examples of doublespeak and doublethink in modern society.[7] Herman describes in his book, Beyond Hypocrisy the principle characteristics of doublespeak;
What is really important in the world of doublespeak is the ability to lie, whether knowingly or unconsciously, and to get away with it; and the ability to use lies and choose and shape facts selectively, blocking out those that don’t fit an agenda or program.[8]

Code:
In his essay "Politics and the English Language", George Orwell observes that political language serves to distort and obfuscate reality. Orwell’s description of political speech is extremely similar to the contemporary definition of doublespeak;
In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defence of the indefensible… Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness… the great enemy of clear language is insincerity. Where there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, ...

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:47 am

Double entendre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_entendre
Quote:
A double entendre is a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. Often the first (more obvious) meaning is straightforward, while the second meaning is less so: often risqué or ironic.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:53 am
Site Admin

magamud wrote:
Double entendre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_entendre
Quote:
A double entendre is a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. Often the first (more obvious) meaning is straightforward, while the second meaning is less so: often risqué or ironic.

Sociopaths do this routinely. I realized Richard does this, too, when he claims Nexus belongs to the members. Our first thought is that Nexus belongs to the entire group of all members. But the second meaning is that Nexus belongs to two specific members, Celine and Richard. That would be the more risqué or ironic meaning, and still be true. And very misleading.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:03 am

very poignant C very poignant. Another way to view is as belonging conditionally.

I will never forget the first time I was taught this as a child. I was raised in a socially conscious family by two moral parents.... I can remember crying all day as a kid because I realized I had ostrasized one of my friends because we got in a fistfight after teasing....It was after all East Harlem NYC in the sixties :oops: but man I felt bad.....then when I was in the 5th grade I was sent for a year to a private school and tormented every day by bratty kids.....

I think I fought one against the many every day and one day I met 3 of my tormentors for the usual session (I was a good fighter luckily), before I wound up picking up a stapler and giving one of them stitches with it to even the odds I well remember asking why they were tormenting me and this is what the chief protoganist told me:

"We like you when you play hockey because you are good at hockey, any other time we don't like you." In other words, I was accepted into the group when I could do something well... conditionally.... and then abandon when in their estimation I had no useful purpose. Conditional acceptance. When you are cool Chico..... when you shut up and moderate for the sake of the group, when you act like GreyBeard you are Nexus material..... You dig? 8-) Sad when adults act this way but we were all kids once.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:10 am
Site Admin

dsimon3387 wrote:
Conditional acceptance. When you are cool Chico..... when you shut up and moderate for the sake of the group, when you act like GreyBeard you are Nexus material..... You dig? 8-)

I dig.

Over in the meadow
In the sand in the sun, lived an
Old mother turtle and her
Little turtle one.
"Dig," said the mother,
"I dig," said the one, and they
Dug all day in the sand in the sun.

Over in the Meadow is one of my earliest memories as a child. I didn't understand much of it then, but I resonated with it.

I still do.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:32 am

dsimon3387 wrote:

"We like you when you play hockey because you are good at hockey, any other time we don't like you."

i was thinking about the nexus social club dsimon.in the front its a public truth forum and you can join.unless you have the wrong ip .

in the back its celine 's social club and celine may notice you and invite you into her inner circle.what a privilige but piss her off in chat she will say F U and you get kicked out of her social club.when that happens richard disappears you to regain his personal peace. well i tried to follow her conversations in the social club but usualy fell asleep.she uses nexus and her friends as therapists. them who congregate are welcome back only if they follow her lead discuss what she wants to and help her deconstruct all her 'fears' or relieve her 'pain' and say nice things about her.

nexus netizon broadcasts more of the same nonsense.keeps her busy all week.its celine 's pet peeve of the week show and we 're live on the air discussing _________ guess celine 's topic by reading the threaDS she posted on that week.....................

nexus is not rely a truth community imo.its a venue for celine so richard can stay sane living with her .

avalon served as celine 's social club and sound off central.if she 's on the low swing of a manic episode every one best look out .dont u dare comment cuz celine will cry and complain and richard 's finger is atwitchin over the red button .

'conditions apply'. well i never read the rules or conditions dsimon i just click 'i agree' so i was ostricized. since i am not a very social creature by nature any way im happy and content to lurk on the boards learning what i need and leave the drama politics diplomatic prose and jiggin around the truth to better skilled forum gamers or them that posess more acceptible social skills .

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:49 am

Screw C's private backroom club, both at AV and Nexus, I'm glad I was never a part of it, though I did hear of it (along with the reading of PM's')and it was not cool with me...
The more they hate or despise you, the more you are doing the right thing.
Please come clean Zook., it's time. period.
And people desire, should know the truth about all of it.
How can you have peace and and an equal environment with all this bullshit happening in the background? You can't. Unless you ignore it. I applaud Chico for standing his ground, and everyone else with him. "No money required, no donations asked for" tells a story right there. ; )

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:17 am

Quote:
I was accepted into the group when I could do something well... conditionally.... and then abandon when in their estimation I had no useful purpose

I had very similar dynamics growing up too. Children can be so psychopathic and direct looking back. Nice post...

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:05 pm

inkoze wrote:
Please come clean Zook., it's time. period.

UncleZook is buried so deep in his own BS the chances of this ever happening are almost non-existent, so don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen inkoze!

To accuse him of DoubleThink I believe would be to over complicate him, although the description by Edward S. Herman of DoubleSpeak fits him to a tee!

Quote:
The ability to use lies and choose and shape facts selectively, blocking out those that don’t fit an agenda or program.

QRK: QifUSqn6ygXK61pEkm2g4iBY9ZcLw4g4su
FCK: FettxKyQVhsSURZt1XQxUTypwxEeBbTgUQ

Please visit http://forum.qrk.cc/ for all things Crypto!

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next