Does the UP project has a future? 

Should we continue the UP initiative?
Yes, let's continue like this 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but better change the concept 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
No, forums are not the way to go 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
No, people simply don't care 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10

Does the UP project has a future? 

Post Re: Does the UP project has a future?
Lee wrote:
I think I prefer not to have a thank you button. ;) I like the idea of not knowing how many people have thanked a post - which in turn may prompt people to post a response. Not sure of that theory, although I do find it distracting and believe it can sway my opinion.

Yes I agree with this for the same reasons as listed by Lee. Every message here is a gift and will be subject to deconstruction... A hall of fame/shame is a nice concept to pick out the exceptions in both +/- sense. But maybe we should vote on this .... ?

skip.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:58 pm
Site Admin

Lee wrote:
I think I prefer not to have a thank you button. ;) I like the idea of not knowing how many people have thanked a post - which in turn may prompt people to post a response.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of before. I've only known two forums before this one (blush), and they both had the "Thanks" button, so that's why I was missing it. I was, in a way, brain-washed. Now I can see a different side of the story, thanks to you, Lee. If I had a "Thanks" button to push on your post, I'd be clicking it. :lol:

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:11 am
Site Admin

skippy wrote:
Yes I agree with this for the same reasons as listed by Lee. Every message here is a gift and will be subject to deconstruction... A hall of fame/shame is a nice concept to pick out the exceptions in both +/- sense. But maybe we should vote on this .... ?

Skippy! You da man! I like the way you think. That's a small step in the right direction where the members of the forum participate in policing it. That way, no one is running around saying, "This is my house! You have to obey my rules! I make the final decision."

Heaven strike me down if I ever become a Bill Ryan. And in Bill's defense, I have to say I still like the guy. Now I'm wondering if I'm just a sucker for the charming demeanor of an accomplished sociopath. Oh my, life can be so complicated.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:22 am

This place could very well be...

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:06 am

We are getting the word out there. Give it a bit of time. What a difference a day can make.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am
Site Admin

I'm hoping this forum will be member-run, with no hierarchy, and no dictatorial power structure. We've seen the traditional forum paradigm. Is this forum our chance to do it better?

I'm also thinking that backups of the forum database should be available to all members. That way, anyone can recreate the forum for any reason. It really would belong to the people.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:09 am

I really like thanks button. It helps me to feel participatory when posting is not something I am moved to do.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:55 am
There better be a future to trying to figure out where we are heading and how to make right choices. We have enough "knowledge" to be different from the insanity that surrounds us, but not if we don't care to challenge our own "upbringing".

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 pm

We are already in and headed further into a cybernetic centralized think tank of War to degregate our species....

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Site Admin

Modwiz wrote:
I really like thanks button. It helps me to feel participatory when posting is not something I am moved to do.

I like it, too. There may be other options, like the "Like" and "Dislike" counts used on Facebook. I'll have to look into that, or even better, we all can! We are using phpBB3 forum software, and there are many mods available to customize it. Maybe we can change this forum into what we want it to be.

I may be biased, but the "look and feel" of the Nexus and Avalon forum software (Vbulletin) is very nice. However, I talked to Lord Sidious (Rob Halford) yesterday, and he told me neither use the stock Vbulletin package. Both are highly modified. And Vbulletin is a commercial package that costs about $300 a year, whereas phpBB3 is free.

Free is good.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next