Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
I Must Have Looked a Twat! 

Post I Must Have Looked a Twat!
Hi Everybody,

Spurred on by Lily de Cuir and a comment she made in another thread, I was compelled to open this thread for a chance for us to show what fashion we followed when we were younger and to give an idea how ridiculous we must have looked back then.

One of my first memories of wanting to make a fashion statement I think I was around thirteen or fourteen at the time and I wanted a pair of four button high waister bell bottom trousers and platform boots! Looking back and also remembering large collared shirts, I must have looked a twat!

My favourite song at that time was "I Can Do It" by The Rubettes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm8uqRNbvNY

Has anybody else got the guts to reveal how they dressed like a twat?!

Best regards.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Post Re: I Must Have Looked a Twat!
Oh Goody, you made the thread.

Crikey, 'how I looked like a twat'....mmmm, ok.... :lol:

Friggin' platform shoes so high, short skirts, heavy eye-liner as a teenager, then I morphed into long, gypsy skirts and indian sandals, leather wrist bands, caftans, um, then I got a bit more sophisticated (not!). Oh those bloody Farrah Fawcett hair bangs, shit, those big hoop earrings (have you noticed they are coming back again?).

Don't talk about shoulder pads, gaah! By then I was in the corporate world, power dressing and all that crap. Oh, God, it was SO long ago. Don't expect me to post any pix, I'd rather die thanks. :crybabe:

Now? I've embraced my nearly 54 year old self ala naturale. Comfort rules! (Thank God for Birkenstocks) And when the hair isn't right? Slap on a hat. Oh, and almost completely grey and lovin' it! People don't like it? They can get stuffed. :giggle:

Cheers,
Lily
PS: Can't think of a suitable song to add, but leave it with me. I'll think of one later.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:43 pm

When I was 8 I wouldn't be seen dead without a pair of rollerskates and flourescent pink bermuda shorts with sunglasses to match - it was the 80s!!

Then I remember being 14 and all the rage were white suits for women. I went to a pub wearing my new white suit all proud, swaggering around with a pint of snakebite (lager mixed with cider and a dash of blackcurrent so it was pink colour) pretending to be 18. Woke up in the morning and my white suit was pink!

Then I got into the manics when I was 16 and tie dyed tight shirts and then spraypainted slogons on them, some of them included: "culture slut" or "from despair to where" or "stay beautiful" or "all rock n roll is homosexual". Ha ha, pretentious twat!

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:52 pm

P.s I think Grey hair is beautiful, Lily

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Oh Goody, you made the thread.

Crikey, 'how I looked like a twat'....mmmm, ok.... :lol:

Friggin' platform shoes so high, short skirts, heavy eye-liner as a teenager, then I morphed into long, gypsy skirts and indian sandals, leather wrist bands, caftans, um, then I got a bit more sophisticated (not!). Oh those bloody Farrah Fawcett hair bangs, shit, those big hoop earrings (have you noticed they are coming back again?).

Don't talk about shoulder pads, gaah! By then I was in the corporate world, power dressing and all that crap. Oh, God, it was SO long ago. Don't expect me to post any pix, I'd rather die thanks. :crybabe:

Now? I've embraced my nearly 54 year old self ala naturale. Comfort rules! (Thank God for Birkenstocks) And when the hair isn't right? Slap on a hat. Oh, and almost completely grey and lovin' it! People don't like it? They can get stuffed. :giggle:

Cheers,
Lily
PS: Can't think of a suitable song to add, but leave it with me. I'll think of one later.

I recently found a video from the early 80's. I didn't put it up myself as any kind of self-promotion or business promotion, someone else got a hold of it. I too looked and sounded a right twat in it though! It's both funny and somewhat poignant to watch myself in younger and more innocent days. I would never post it here because it obviously contains identifying features and I wouldn't know where to begin to bleep them all out.

I caution you Lily, as well as our other members here, to guard your anonymity fiercely when using forums. There seem to be a lot of completely immoral people on these forums who would use any poor excuse to ignore internet privacy rules and the Data Protection Act. Zook and his people come to mind.

I don't want to end up like GW because of my participation on this board, and I'd wager no one else wishes to either. Wrong on so many levels.

That said, carry on surfing United People, this is a fun thread.

Sincerely,

Mouse

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]