Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Kids Books 

Post Kids Books
I love reading books to my little sisters and nephews and putting on stupid voices. Today, we went out in the beating brooding stormy weather with the dawgy, backpack, sweets, apples, flask, torch, duvets and tent. How delicious.

I want to share some books that were read to me as a kid and ones I enjoy reading as an adult. Please contribute and share stuff and recommend too.

1. Brendon Chase, by BB, aka Denys Watkins-Pitchford

This is about three boys who run away from a stuffy, repressed, upperclass English farmhouse, after being sent there to live with their Aunt by their travelling parents. They run away to the woods and live there for around six months, getting into lots of adventures, surviving and observing the elusive and mysterious character, Smokoe Joe. This book is filled with beauty and love for nature and is a real child’s fantasy - to live in a hollow tree with your brothers, learning how to hunt and cook wild food, taking cloak and dagger jaunts into the nearest town, miles away, to steal sugar and matches, collecting birds eggs and stealing honey from a mysterious loner living in the woods and eventually befriending him.

2. The Chronicles of Narnia – C.S Lewis.

Love all of these! My favourite was the Horse and his Boy and the Magician’s Nephew.

3. Down the Bright Stream and also the Little Grey Men by BB

Couldn’t say it any better than this Amazon review:

“This story of little people travelling along streams in a toy boat (I was so jealous!), encountering wildlife & danger & adventures is one of the most captivating & enchanting stories I have read. Even the book illustrations mesmerized me. I gazed at them for hours.
These stories & images have remained in my memory & imagination for over 34 years.
I think they were read out on television once, in the very early 1970's.
Forget all that wizardry, when are these going to be made into movies”

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Down-The-Bright ... 709&sr=1-1

4. The Magic Far Away Tree and also the Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton

Enchanting and magical.

5. The Snow Queen
Lots of binary philosophy in this book but chillingly beautiful, mysterious and wondrous.

6. Boy – by Roald Dahl.

Just loved Dahl’s autobiographical tale – especially when he goes chocolate tasting and tales of the sweet shop - the time he put a dead mouse in Mrs Pratchett's sweet shop jar and got whipped for it.. So funny and brutal at the same time – using humour to sweeten life’s bitterness.

7. The Twits – Roald Dahl.

Could be about me and my ex-partner! It makes you take a look at yourself through the laughter.

8. Not for kids strictly but – The Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. Fabulous book and talks about the significance of story telling, deconstructing fairystories, Jung and femininity.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Post Re: Kids Books
Thanks...

My son's favourite Author is Enid Blyton, particularly the story '5 Go to Demon's Rock.' He's a prolific reader. Thankfully Enid wrote many books!

Haven't heard of Brendan Chase, thanks! It sounds like a great read. I will look for it as my son is very loyal to certain authors, and to help him branch out I need interesting stories...

Peace,
Lee

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Demon's Rock sounds interesting! Thank you.

BB is a great, highly recommend him!

I remember raging at my dad whenever he would came to a sad bit in a particular book, yelling at him to change the ending!

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi nongeneration,

When I was a kid Enid Blyton ruled the roost. No, not Noddy, but the "Famous Five". I remember reading and getting involved with the story. "Five Goes to Smugglers Top", "Five Ran Away Together", "The Famous Five" and there are more.

I never felt lacking in knowing that George was probably a Lesbo. The story was much more important.

Best regards.

Lee wrote:
Thanks...

My son's favourite Author is Enid Blyton, particularly the story '5 Go to Demon's Rock.' He's a prolific reader. Thankfully Enid wrote many books!

Haven't heard of Brendan Chase, thanks! It sounds like a great read. I will look for it as my son is very loyal to certain authors, and to help him branch out I need interesting stories...

Peace,
Lee

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Yes, I'm sure she enjoyed that bottle of ginger beer.

Have you heard of the story of the boy who shot arrows but missed? can't remember what's it's called for the life of me...

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:01 am

Missed what?

It wasn't William Tell then?

Yes, I'm sure she enjoyed that bottle of ginger beer.

Have you heard of the story of the boy who shot arrows but missed? can't remember what's it's called for the life of me...

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]