Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
India Is Racist, And Happy About It 

Post India Is Racist, And Happy About It
UncleZook wrote:
Tariq Ali<------- demonstrable brown-skinned

This recent comment from our pasty looking not so brown brother from India (I'm sure he'd darken up a bit if he left his Mothers basement a little more often) has inspired me to post this:

Quote:

In spite of friendship and love in private spaces, the Delhi public literally stops and stares. It is harrowing to constantly have children and adults tease, taunt, pick, poke and peer at you from the corner of their eyes, denying their own humanity as well as mine. Their aggressive, crude curiosity threatens to dominate unless disarmed by kindness, or met with equal aggression.

Once I stood gazing at the giraffes at the Lucknow Zoo only to turn and see 50-odd families gawking at me rather than the exhibit.

Parents abruptly withdrew infants that inquisitively wandered towards me. I felt like an exotic African creature-cum-spectacle, stirring fear and awe. Even my attempts to beguile the public through simple greetings or smiles are often not reciprocated. Instead, the look of wonder swells as if this were all part of the act and we were all playing our parts.

Racism is never a personal experience. Racism in India is systematic and independent of the presence of foreigners of any hue. This climate permits and promotes this lawlessness and disdain for dark skin. Most Indian pop icons have light-damn-near-white skin. Several stars even promote skin-bleaching creams that promise to improve one's popularity and career success. Matrimonial ads boast of fair, v. fair and v. very fair skin alongside foreign visas and advanced university degrees. Moreover, each time I visit one of Delhi's clubhouses, I notice that I am the darkest person not wearing a work uniform. It's unfair and ugly.

Discrimination in Delhi surpasses the denial of courtesy. I have been denied visas, apartments, entrance to discos, attentiveness, kindness and the benefit of doubt. Further, the lack of neighbourliness exceeds what locals describe as normal for a capital already known for its coldness.

My partner is white and I am black, facts of which the Indian public reminds us daily. Bank associates have denied me chai, while falling over to please my white friend. Mall shop attendants have denied me attentiveness, while mobbing my partner. Who knows what else is more quietly denied?

"An African has come," a guard announced over the intercom as I showed up. Whites are afforded the luxury of their own names, but this careful attention to my presence was not new. ATM guards stand and salute my white friend, while one guard actually asked me why I had come to the bank machine as if I might have said that I was taking over his shift.

It is shocking that people wear liberalism as a sign of modernity, yet revert to ultraconservatism when actually faced with difference. Cyberbullies have threatened my life on my YouTube videos that capture local gawking and eve-teasing. I was even fired from an international school for talking about homosociality in Africa on YouTube, and addressing a class about homophobia against kids after a student called me a 'fag'.

Outside of specific anchors of discourse such as Reservations, there is no consensus that discrimination is a redeemable social ill. This is the real issue with discrimination in India: her own citizens suffer and we are only encouraged to ignore situations that make us all feel powerless. Be it the mute-witnesses seeing racial difference for the first time, kids learning racism from their folks, or the blacks and northeasterners who feel victimised by the public, few operate from a position that believes in change.

Living in India was a childhood dream that deepened with my growing understanding of India and America's unique, shared history of non-violent revolution. Yet, in most nations, the path of ending gender, race and class discrimination is unpaved. In India, this path is still rural and rocky as if this nation has not decided the road even worthy. It is a footpath that we are left to tread individually.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(The writer is a Black American PhD student at the Delhi School of Economics.)

QRK: QifUSqn6ygXK61pEkm2g4iBY9ZcLw4g4su
FCK: FettxKyQVhsSURZt1XQxUTypwxEeBbTgUQ

Please visit http://forum.qrk.cc/ for all things Crypto!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:34 am
Site Admin

Post Re: India Is Racist, And Happy About It
Racism is learned, so naturally it would be useful to know who is teaching it. Perhaps it's the ruling sociopaths.

• The rewarded (favored) race is the ruling sociopaths' race, just as the rewarded mindset is the sociopathic mindset.
  • The favorite strategy of the ruling sociopaths is "divide and conquer". Racism is a natural here.
  • The ruling sociopaths control the flow of information via the media and the educational system. They have cleverly positioned themselves to be our teachers.
  • Propaganda originates from the ruling sociopaths. They use it to manipulate our beliefs about all things, including race.
  • Racism is a negative and hateful mindset, i.e. a sociopathic mindset.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:03 am

andywight wrote:
UncleZook wrote:
Tariq Ali<------- demonstrable brown-skinned

This recent comment from our pasty looking not so brown brother from India (I'm sure he'd darken up a bit if he left his Mothers basement a little more often) has inspired me to post this:

In order to shift focus away from the original discussion into a messenger attack and issues unrelated to the topic at hand (e.g. racism), the Gatekeeping Bahamaian Frond Fruit strips the context from my statement in the original thread which actually goes on as such:

Tariq Ali<------- demonstrable brown-skinned, brown-nosing puppet historian of the bankster empire (who actually tries to legitimize the psychological operation and full-scale scam called the Arab Spring, e.g. in the video).- UncleZook

A statement which alludes to the white man's burden mentality of the imperialist British Empire ... as it seeks to tame the nonwhite savage slaves with - cough cough - western civility. Tariq Ali represents the putative obsequious servant of the empire. Anyone with more than a few brain cells can figure that out. That said, bananas don't have brains ... but bellies to fill. So I suppose we can forgive the ester jester for trying to bring racism into the mix with the following unrelated reportage of racism in India; racism which undeniably exists - as it exists in any country where form carries advantage over function. Ask the Japanese, the Brits, the Germans ... heck ... ask the Bahamaians.

:jest:

Anyhoo, here's the remainder of the gatekeeping banana's post, which is unrelated to the topic at hand and is more or less an attempt at detracting from the exposee of Assange and his many minions by yours truly ... a brown-skinned bright-light and avuncular alone-on-a-hill kind a fellar, Zook:

Pax Postcard From India

Flight that sends into the clouds brings wings to rest upon the boughs. Then further down to the liquid lawn, to serve as sentries for the gliding swan. Curve, a perfect turning of the line between here and Heaven, with extensions into infinitum.

Last edited by Chicodoodoo on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

No need to requote the "unrelated" topic, just link to it.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:20 am
Site Admin

Judging someone by the color of his skin is quite similar to judging someone by his beliefs on 9/11 or Wikileaks. It is a prejudice.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:07 am

UncleZook wrote:

Pax Postcard From India

Surly UncleZook if my intent was to "shift focus away" from anything I would have posted this to the original discussion, your logic here is just simply lame!

Yes racism exists in most, if not all country's, but not to the same sophistication that it does in India!

India's caste system - For Dummies & UncleZook

Attachment:
caste-system.jpg
caste-system.jpg [ 13.52 KiB | Viewed 2900 times ]

Many Westerners have heard of India's caste system, but a thorough understanding of its ins and outs is still relatively uncommon. The following sections reveal the nitty-gritty of the caste system.
What's the caste system?

Broadly speaking, a caste system is a process of placing people in occupational groups. It has pervaded several aspects of Indian society for centuries. Rooted in religion and based on a division of labor, the caste system, among other things, dictates the type of occupations a person can pursue and the social interactions that she may have. Castes are an aspect of Hindu religion. Other religions in India do not follow this system.

Castes are ranked in hierarchical order (originally, the system wasn't to have a hierarchy based on occupation or birth but purely on personality; this has been skewed somehow over time), which determines the behavior of one member of society over another. Even in a modern business setting, where caste isn't openly acknowledged, there may be subtle observances of village or family-style ranking. For instance, a young official may address a senior person, not necessarily his superior, as chachaji, a respectful term for a paternal uncle.
How it's structured

India's caste system has four main classes (also called varnas) based originally on personality, profession, and birth. In descending order, the classes are as follows:

Brahmana (now more commonly spelled Brahmin): Consist of those engaged in scriptural education and teaching, essential for the continuation of knowledge.

Kshatriya: Take on all forms of public service, including administration, maintenance of law and order, and defense.

Vaishya: Engage in commercial activity as businessmen.

Shudra: Work as semi-skilled and unskilled laborers.

The most obvious problem with this system was that under its rigidity, the lower castes were prevented from aspiring to climb higher, and, therefore, economic progress was restricted.

Mahatma Gandhi, the father of modern India, made the lower castes and untouchables a fifth, lowly class with the name Harijan, or "children of God." You see many references to SC and ST in India, in newspapers, government notifications, and so on. These initials refer to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes — scheduled is what Harijan is translated into today. The government is sensitive about reserving seats in colleges and job opportunities for them. But the government has legislation to make up for the past suppression and oppression of the lower castes.
How it works

Castes still rarely intermarry and are definitely not changeable. In urban India, though, people of all castes meet socially or for business. Discriminating against anyone because of their caste for things like club memberships and so on is against the law.

Though caste and community are facts of Indian life, foreigners are not expected to behave differently toward any caste.

(Source)

p.s. UncleZook, don't you think it odd that lighter skinned you are in India the higher up the caste system are!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 am
Site Admin

andywight wrote:
originally, the system wasn't to have a hierarchy based on occupation or birth but purely on personality

Interestingly enough, a modern caste system may be the solution to our most crippling problems. In this caste system, only two levels are present. One caste contains about 95% of the population and has full rights. The other caste contains about 5% of the population and also has full rights, except for one -- members of this caste are forbidden to hold positions of power and control over others.

Placement in the castes is determined by a verifiable, fool-proof method of psychological and / or physiological testing that screens for characteristics present in sociopaths / psychopaths. Caste members may be retested periodically so that caste placement is not necessarily permanent.

With this caste system, nearly all politicians, judges, CEOs, kings, queens, cardinals, bishops, Rockefellers, Rothschilds, and other ruling elite would be removed from power and relegated to harmless occupations. Note that I believe the favored occupation of "lawyer" would remain open to the smaller caste, as lawyers only present evidence and arguments. The actual verdict is determined by juries and judges.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:44 pm

andywight wrote:
UncleZook wrote:

Pax Postcard From India

Surly UncleZook if my intent was to "shift focus away" from anything I would have posted this to the original discussion, your logic here is just simply lame!

Well, Banana Boy, it is not so lame as the focus has already been shifted from Assange there to racism here ... e.g. the main players in that discussion have stopped their investment there - however temporarily - to pursue the racism topic here. And you can't argue that the two threads are unrelated because you took a quote from that thread to originate this thread ... and purely to try to get under my skin. Which you haven't because I oppose the caste system; moreover, my brown-skinned brown-nosing comment had nothing to do with any racism on my part but about the endemic racism in the British imperialists who attacked and occupied many a foreign peoples and imparted a vision of white man's burden on those people.

Tariq Ali is the Uncle Tom of the middle east. But it takes someone with intelligence and knowledge to understand Ali. Someone with schoolyard intelligence and a baby rattle in their hands - like yourself - cannot be expected to posit anything more than common denominator arguments, sentiments, and rants.

:jest:

Quote:
p.s. UncleZook, don't you think it odd that lighter skinned you are in India the higher up the caste system are!

Well, first of all, that's Mr. UncleZook to you ... secondly, I think it is an expectation not an oddity given the sorry state of the human condition ... within India and without. Not that I'll necessary respond again to you in this thread - as is my privilege and pleasure - but why do you think it odd, Andy ... oops ... Mr. Andy?

Flight that sends into the clouds brings wings to rest upon the boughs. Then further down to the liquid lawn, to serve as sentries for the gliding swan. Curve, a perfect turning of the line between here and Heaven, with extensions into infinitum.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:23 am

Andy is being philanthropic here Zook, he is looking out for your best interest, teasing the recesses of your mind out, for your own good.

Your projecting your hooks Andy and that wont catch any big fish....

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:13 pm

UncleZook wrote:

Tariq Ali is the Uncle Tom of the middle east. But it takes someone with intelligence and knowledge to understand Ali. Someone with schoolyard intelligence and a baby rattle in their hands - like yourself - cannot be expected to posit anything more than common denominator arguments, sentiments, and rants.

A statement like this made on the assumption that it will latter be proven to be true just doesn't cut it here Mr. UncleZook!

UncleZook wrote:
but why do you think it odd, Andy ... oops ... Mr. Andy?

Andy is fine.

I don't, and - am at a loss to understand how you deduced that from my earlier question to you?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:10 am

You guys are just too funny...

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]