Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
What is Utopia? 
Post What is Utopia?
Having read some of the writings of Wade Frazier and some of the possible nightmare scenario's that could face all of us, I would like to focus on the other end of the spectrum and see if there is a consensus about what or indeed where the ideal 'Utopia' is?
Are we willing or able to create a combined Utopia for everyone on this planet, including the planet, or, is it more realistic to look for Utopia on an individual basis?
Is Utopia a technological place / idea where human life exists in harmony with the planet making the best use of 'free' energy resources?
Maybe Utopia is getting back to subsistence living where everyone contributes what they can to everyone's survival including the Earth itself?
Maybe it's neither of these.

It will be interesting to really see what idea's people have on this subject, because I firmly believe that unless we start 'imagining' what we want, we are going to keep living in someone else's dream / nightmare.

So come on folks, what / where is your / our Utopia?

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:11 am

Post Re: What is Utopia?
Utopia is people acknowledging, communicating, then working with the one creator and manifesting Paradise on earth from our own good works.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 pm
Site Admin

The first thing that pops into my mind is that Utopia is based on equality, where all are treated with some basic level of equality, along the lines expressed by the Golden Rule. Without that foundation, I don't believe Utopia is possible, at least among humans.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Does Darwinism support equality?

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:09 pm
Site Admin

Evolution supports equality, inequality, hierarchy, no hierarchy, dependence, independence, cooperation, competition, etc. In a nutshell, evolution is game to try anything. All that matters is what works, what is successful at promoting life. That allows for a great deal of variation and leeway, which is exactly what we see.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:32 pm

I see psychopaths taking over, this is in the human dynamics and in nature. Your assuming evolution is alturistic and this could be a disastrous assumption.

Last edited by magamud on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Quote:
All that matters is what works

Well evolution is certainly not working. And to add the psychopaths work on making the appearance that the Game is fair. This includes saving endangered species, saving wildlife and nature perserves. And the appearance that were not in a psychopathic system. But I assure you the head psychopaths in power endear Evolution as their primal Law of the land.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Having read some of the writings of Wade Frazier and some of the possible nightmare scenario's that could face all of us,

Hi Dukes,

I have read some of Wade Frazier's work and my take on it so far is that he is trying to first show the lower level stages where people get caught, hence the negative scenario's. I'm no expert on his work, although it would be good to take the time to understand where he's trying to take people.

I saw a thread on Nexus ,started by Sandy, in an effort to also get people imagining such a future. It was starting to get derailed and I haven't seen it since. I've asked her if she minds me linking it here - it may well have taken an upward turn since my initial viewing :D .

So I will join you in this, as it will be a good exercise for me :) . I'm more wired to recognise the missteps and route them out for examination. So this will be challenging...

Thanks for the thread :)
Lee

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57 pm
Site Admin

magamud wrote:
You're assuming evolution is altruistic and this could be a disastrous assumption.

No, I am not assuming that at all. Evolution appears to be completely neutral and unbiased. It takes no position and has no stake in the outcome.

magamud wrote:
Well evolution is certainly not working.

Evolution also fails, probably far more often than it succeeds. All we see are the successes that are succeeding, and the successes that are failing. The past failures are already footnotes in history or lost.

Quote:
But I assure you the head psychopaths in power endear Evolution as their primal Law of the land.

That may very well be true. They will surely put their own spin on evolution to justify their behavior to themselves and their victims.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Quote:
Evolution appears to be completely neutral and unbiased

Evolution is in process, energetic and organizing all the time. Could you detail this phrase for me? I mean is it a force unto itself? Transcending ideas of movement, Morals or anything else. Is this thing conscious?

Quote:
Evolution also fails, probably far more often than it succeeds.

Dude is not our entire predicament the possible result of Evolution?

Quote:
That may very well

In a spectrum, where would this phrase rate. 90% true? 25% true? Im not being obtuse here, I am trying to understand you Chic....

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next