Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
General Sociopathy: a rational perspective 

Post General Sociopathy: a rational perspective
What is this thing that we generally refer to as sociopathy?

Is it something that arose in the human condition from the toxic environments that surround it in the 21st century? Or has it existed for millennia and been recognized for millennia ... and merely given a new name in the soft science lexicon of the soft science discipline known as psychology?

To understand that question, here's a link to guide us:
http://mikemcclaughry.wordpress.com/201 ... sociopath/

beginExcerpt
”Sociopaths and psychopaths are the same thing. The original name for this disorder was “psychopath” but the general public and media confused it with “psycho” and “psychotic” so in the 1930s the name was changed to sociopath. Recently the media again caused a misperception that sociopaths were always serial killers, so now many call the condition “antisocial personality disorder (ASPD).”

A person can be very sociopathic or only slightly, and anywhere in between. It’s a continuum.”
end

Already we see that the coinage sociopathy is just a new name for an existing term, psychopathy, in the soft science discipline known as psychology. I say soft science with prejudice ... because the vagueness of the discipline is self-evident. Have a read of the coinage "psychopathy" at Wikipedia and please apprise me if you find any clarity worth reporting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy#Definition

Psychology, the superset of psychopathy, is a zillion-dollar industry as well as a soft science discipline. The understanding of the mind - whether genuine or not - has spun multiple cottage industries. Yet the psychometric tools that are often used are as crude as digging sticks and caveman's clubs.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/psychopathy

beginExcerpt
psy·chop·a·thy
[sahy-kop-uh-thee] Show IPA
noun, plural psy·chop·a·thies. Psychiatry.
a mental disorder in which an individual manifests amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, etc.
any mental disease.
Origin:
1840–50; psycho- + -pathy
end

We see that the term was coined somewhere between 1840 and 1850. So prior to that point, there was no term as psychopathy to confine our understandings of aberrant human behavior. Which then brings us to the still malleable, but harder discipline of psychiatry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatry

beginExcerpt
Psychiatry
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with Psychology.
The word psyche comes from the ancient Greek for soul or butterfly.[1] The fluttering insect appears in the coat of arms of Britain's Royal College of Psychiatrists[2]

Psychiatry is the medical specialty devoted to the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders, among which are affective, behavioural, cognitive and perceptual abnormalities. The term "psychiatry" was first coined by the German physician Johann Christian Reil in 1808 and literally means the 'medical treatment of the soul' (psych- "soul" from Ancient Greek psykhē "soul"; -iatry "medical treatment" from Gk. iātrikos "medical" from iāsthai "to heal"). A medical doctor specializing in psychiatry is a psychiatrist. (For a historical overview, see Timeline of psychiatry.)
end

By now, I'm sure the good readers sense where I 'm going with this ... indeed, I am exposing the underpinning of Chico's and Mags abuse of individuals that they happen to disagree with ... with injudicious, indiscriminate, expeditious pseudoauthority on subject matter that is controvertible - at best - even among so-called certified authorities.

And we haven't even scratched the surface on the topic of general sociopathy ... or the fact that general sociopathy exists in degree in every single human being that has ever planted a foot on terra firma, including Neil Armstrong who has been purported to have planted feet on luna firma as well.

And precisely because sociopathy and empathy are two bookends of a continuum. The greatest saint that has ever lived has a low degree of sociopathy in them ... and the biggest sinner that has ever lived has a low degree of empathy in them. What we then qualify as sociopaths and empaths, has more to do with setting threshold barriers between degrees of sociopathy (or empathy), a qualitative endeavor ... than actually isolating someone who has this thing called sociopathy (or empathy) from normal persons who supposedly lack this thing, a quantitative endeavor.

As I develop this thread, I will expose the paucity of thought involved when individuals like Chico and Mags make their injudicious forays into the ad hominem and then pretend that those forays have scientific backing. Even the existing soft science literature on sociopathy/psychopathy/aberrant behavior contains little to support their forays.

Pax

ps: After reading Virginia McClaughry's blog article on the subject matter, I will now retract my charge of sociopath that I directed at Andy about a month or so, ago ... indeed, withdraw all charges of sociopath directed at Chico and Mags as well. I will merely draw attention to aberrant behavior when I see it (from anybody) and refrain from overdetermination. Overdetermination is an attack against the truth. And I thank McClaughry for enlightening me.

Flight that sends into the clouds brings wings to rest upon the boughs. Then further down to the liquid lawn, to serve as sentries for the gliding swan. Curve, a perfect turning of the line between here and Heaven, with extensions into infinitum.

Sat May 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Post Re: General Sociopathy: a rational perspective
Quote:
soft science lexicon

Its common sense Zook. You manipulating it into some science is your opportunity to just obfuscate it and discredit it.

Quote:
because the vagueness of the discipline is self-evident.

Thanks for making my point Zook. You are very predictable...

Quote:
used are as crude as digging sticks and caveman's clubs.

You would think that lol.

Quote:
I am exposing the underpinning of Chico's and Mags abuse of individuals that they happen to disagree with

I admire your spirit ole boy, digging deep to find a way to discredit your sociopathic behavior. The levels of hypocrisy knows no bounds in the black hole.

Quote:
And we haven't even scratched the surface on the topic of general sociopathy

Its fascinating stuff Zook. You discredit sociopathy in one word then you acknowledge we know nothing about it. Thats double speak at its finest, holding two contradicting points to justify your perception. That shit does not work in the real world Spook, no matter how much bullshit you pile on top of it. But you can try...

Quote:
I will now retract my charge of sociopath that I directed at Andy about a month

Of course you would. :lol: Sweet Irony....

Quote:
I will merely draw attention to aberrant behavior when I see it (from anybody) and refrain from overdetermination.

Wow, you are growing Zook. Less conclusive and more humble in your approach. I salute you. Unfortunately this will probably be just another tactic to help weave your lies. I also want to salute you, for admitting that your perspective has the ability to change and your sharing that with the board.

Sat May 03, 2014 3:14 pm
Site Admin

What ego and gall you have to dismiss all the legitimate work that has been done in psychology! Work that you yourself employ (1 2 3 4 5 6) when it suits you, like the Milgram experiment and the Asch experiment.

You want to turn the study of human behavior into a crock just to discount your own exposure as a sociopath. Who does this kind of thing, anyway? It's completely aberrant, entirely deviant, highly self-serving, very deceptive, clearly manipulative... ...in a word, sociopathic!

You and Andy are looking like such fools. When you are disguised and weaving your intrigues, you come across as so intelligent and savvy, just like the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Powell/Rice gang. But it's just a facade! Once we know your game and understand your psychology, you disintegrate into bumbling idiots! And the reason for that is, once again, sociopathy. You and your behavior didn't change. The only thing that changed is our perception and understanding of sociopathic behavior.

And that is precisely the target of your hit-piece here -- our perception and understanding of sociopathic behavior. You want to obfuscate, confuse, redirect, and reprogram. This is not truth-seeking, UncleZook. No, not at all. It's brain-washing. Who does that kind of thing? Sociopaths!

Sat May 03, 2014 7:55 pm

magamud wrote:
I admire your spirit ole boy, digging deep to find a way to discredit your sociopathic behavior.

You want to turn the study of human behavior into a crock just to discount your own exposure as a sociopath. Who does this kind of thing, anyway? It's completely aberrant, entirely deviant, highly self-serving, very deceptive, clearly manipulative... ...in a word, sociopathic!

:lol: I just knew you two clowns couldn't contribute to this well presented topic without accusing the OP of being a sociopath! :lol:

And thanks for proving my point about your amateurish overuse of the term "sociopath" and how it hampers the fight against it!

QRK: QifUSqn6ygXK61pEkm2g4iBY9ZcLw4g4su
FCK: FettxKyQVhsSURZt1XQxUTypwxEeBbTgUQ

Please visit http://forum.qrk.cc/ for all things Crypto!

Sun May 04, 2014 12:25 am
Site Admin

andywight wrote:
And thanks for proving my point about your amateurish overuse of the term "sociopath" and how it hampers the fight against it!

It doesn't hamper the fight against it, it enables the fight against it. There is no overuse of the term if the term is correctly applied whenever sociopathy rears its ugly head. If socipathy shows up a lot, then that's just the way it is. There is no quota on the truth, Spammy.

Sun May 04, 2014 5:33 am

andywight wrote:

It doesn't hamper the fight against it, it enables the fight against it.

Sure, like the boy that enabled the fight against the wolf by shouting "Wolf!" at every opportunity. No doubt.

Quote:
There is no overuse of the term if the term is correctly applied whenever sociopathy rears its ugly head. If socipathy shows up a lot, then that's just the way it is. There is no quota on the truth, Spammy.

Correct application is the subjective mind of the applier. Especially given that the term is vaguely understood; depends heavily on subjective criteria; and exists on a continuum axis with empathy (which essentially means that every human being that has ever lived has some element of sociopathy in them waiting to be expressed. Another way to put it ... empathy is the minimization of sociopathy and sociopathy is the minimization of empathy.

You, Chico, have abundantly demonstrated an inability to correctly apply the term and, equally, a gift at casting aspersions against those you disagree with. Your accuracy in gauging sociopaths is so poor, that, on more than a few occasions, you have turned 180 degrees on the same individual. Indeed, Mags is only a post away from being inscribed into Chico's notebook of sociopathy, himself ... and always has been. But he's too preoccupied with his own mischief to realize that.

Pax

Flight that sends into the clouds brings wings to rest upon the boughs. Then further down to the liquid lawn, to serve as sentries for the gliding swan. Curve, a perfect turning of the line between here and Heaven, with extensions into infinitum.

Mon May 05, 2014 2:46 pm

What ego and gall you have to dismiss all the legitimate work that has been done in psychology! Work that you yourself employ (1 2 3 4 5 6) when it suits you, like the Milgram experiment and the Asch experiment.

Dismiss all the legitimate work?? My, my ... aren't we being a wee bit narrowminded ... or as you are fond to say, binary? FWIW, proven experiments like Milgram and Asch ... are the exceptions in the soft science discipline of psychology. Psychology is only a science because of the exceptions ... and abundantly soft because of the rule.

Quote:

Your ubiquitous incessant innuendo claiming to have exposed me as a sociopath, is the kind of kindergarten analysis that brings disrepute to the field of psychology. Keep yammering, you continue to prove my case with every carriage of innuendo.

Quote:
You and Andy are looking like such fools. When you are disguised and weaving your intrigues, you come across as so intelligent and savvy, just like the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Powell/Rice gang. But it's just a facade! Once we know your game and understand your psychology, you disintegrate into bumbling idiots! And the reason for that is, once again, sociopathy. You and your behavior didn't change. The only thing that changed is our perception and understanding of sociopathic behavior.

You would present an interesting case study, I'm sure, for any fledgling psychiatrist starting their practice. The experienced psychiatrists, of course, would find nothing wrong with you ... and toss you into the bin of fifth columns, in between the bucket of gatekeepers and the barrel of monkeys.

Quote:
And that is precisely the target of your hit-piece here -- our perception and understanding of sociopathic behavior. You want to obfuscate, confuse, redirect, and reprogram. This is not truth-seeking, UncleZook. No, not at all. It's brain-washing. Who does that kind of thing? Sociopaths!

The main priority and time-dependent problem (at least for freedom-oriented individuals) ... is FSD. That speaks to specific sociopathy, an imminent danger.

Leaving specific sociopathy to sundry other threads, I had offered this particular thread to discuss the lesser priority and time-independent problem of general sociopathy ... which infects all cultures, makes noise in all scales, and affects all environments, directly and indirectly. However, there is no imminence with general sociopathy short of perverting the meaning of the term imminence. General sociopathy has been with us since we climbed from fours and straightened our backs.

To then characterize the opening post of the thread as a hit-piece against the understanding of sociopathic behavior ... astounds rational sense. If Chico truly sees no difference between the two fundamentally different arguments of specific acute imminent sociopathy and general chronic sociopathy, then he is a simpleton in the descriptive sense of the word. But the preponderance of his posts reveals that Chico is capable of deeper analysis and thought. So we must conclude that his protestations here are false, which further increases the preponderance against him as a fifth columnist.

Pax

ps: Be very careful when you read fifth columnists, good folks ... they are good at deception. They will speak the truths quite often - mostly trivial truths, mind you, but truths nonetheless - so that they can sell the big lie from time to time, which is their raison-d'etre.

Mon May 05, 2014 3:35 pm
Site Admin

UncleZook wrote:
Sure, like the boy that enabled the fight against the wolf by shouting "Wolf!" at every opportunity.

In that story, there was no wolf. But what if wolves in sheep's clothing were infiltrating the flock, and the boy was aware of it. He tries to alert the villagers, but they do not see through the sheepskin disguise the wolves employ. They laugh at the boy, ignore him, and call him a fool.

But in this case, the boy is right.

UncleZook wrote:
Correct application is the subjective mind of the applier.

Oh, that's rich. Suddenly, when it suits your argument, the existence of sociopathy becomes subjective. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds, Zook.

UncleZook wrote:
Indeed, Mags is only a post away from being inscribed into Chico's notebook of sociopathy, himself ... and always has been.

Now you're falling back on your worn-out argument that exposing sociopathy is just a rabid witch hunt. Really, Zook, your behavior just keeps exposing your psychology, once the observer truly understands the characteristics of sociopathy. It wasn't long ago that you yourself were arguing that only behavioral analysis can indicate sociopathy. When behavioral analysis is applied to you, you denounce it as subjective and a witch hunt. Interesting hypocrisy, no?

Mon May 05, 2014 5:32 pm
Site Admin

UncleZook wrote:
FWIW, proven experiments like Milgram and Asch ... are the exceptions in the soft science discipline of psychology. Psychology is only a science because of the exceptions ... and abundantly soft because of the rule.

Backpeddle, Zook, backpeddle! You really exposed yourself there, trying to discount psychology while supporting it when it suits you. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

UncleZook wrote:
Your ubiquitous incessant innuendo claiming to have exposed me as a sociopath, is the kind of kindergarten analysis that brings disrepute to the field of psychology.

Too bad for you that it is not innuendo, but continually well supported by your behavior.

UncleZook wrote:
You would present an interesting case study, I'm sure, for any fledgling psychiatrist starting their practice.

Unlike you, I have nothing to hide. I have thousands of posts online that can easily be studied to gauge my psychology. You yourself have been trying desperately for quite some time to paint me as the sociopath, the result of which has only been to confirm your own sociopathic nature. (Atticus tried this same approach on me as well and also failed miserably.)

UncleZook wrote:
If Chico truly sees no difference between the two fundamentally different arguments of specific acute imminent sociopathy and general chronic sociopathy, then he is a simpleton in the descriptive sense of the word.

Chico sees the difference better than you. Specific acute imminent sociopathy is a natural product of general chronic sociopathy. It is a symptom of the root problem. I propose to solve the root problem (general sociopathy), which will also solve all the symptoms (including specific sociopathy).

UncleZook wrote:
ps: Be very careful when you read fifth columnists, good folks ... they are good at deception. They will speak the truths quite often - mostly trivial truths, mind you, but truths nonetheless - so that they can sell the big lie from time to time, which is their raison-d'etre.

No, don't tell me you are closing by emulating the boy who cried "Wolf!"... :face:

Mon May 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Zook is a complete mess.

Mon May 05, 2014 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next