Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How to link to a post 
Site Admin

Post How to link to a post
Posts here are not numbered, like on the Vbulletin forums of Nexus and Avalon. So how do you link to a post?

It can be done, if you know how. There is a little target-looking symbol next to the title of each post. If you put your mouse on it, a little window appears with the word "Post" in it. Right click on that symbol and choose "Copy link location". Now you can "paste" the URL of that specific post into a URL tag to reference it in your post.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Post Re: How to link to a post
having troubles linking utube post. Clicked on the youtube link then tried the web addy and the embeded addy but to no avail.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:04 pm
Site Admin

Magamud, YouTube videos are handled slightly differently. See the instructions here.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:28 pm

hard to find the Video ID. Apparently it is in the addy after the = sign. Any other quick way of sifting this ID?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:42 pm
Site Admin

magamud wrote:
hard to find the Video ID. Apparently it is in the addy after the = sign. Any other quick way of sifting this ID?

Yep, it's right after the "v=". It ends when you hit the first ampersand ("&") or the end of the URL, so it's normally 10 or 12 characters.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 pm
Site Admin

Posts here are not numbered, like on the Vbulletin forums of Nexus and Avalon. So how do you link to a post?

I just changed the code so that when you quote a post, there is a link back to the post you are quoting. That way, you can just quote a line or two, but the reader can quickly reference the entire post being quoted by clicking on the name of the original poster.

That's one of the features of Vbulletin that I really liked. Now we have it, too!

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Right, so when linking to a post from Avalon for example, I click on their post number and copy that into the url brackets here...

Good to know, this will make my life easier.
:thumbup:

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 pm
Site Admin

Lee wrote:
Right, so when linking to a post from Avalon for example, I click on their post number and copy that into the url brackets here...

If you just paste the URL into the post, it is automatically changed into a link, like this:

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthr ... post431497

However, that can be a bit long and visually unappealing. You could do it like this instead. Much cleaner.

To do that, copy the URL you want to use (Ctrl-C in Windows) to the clipboard. Then, in your post, highlight the words you want to use as the clickable link ("like this" in the previous example). Then click the underline button ("u"), then immediately click the URL button, then place your text cursor right after the "url" in the first set of brackets, then type "=", then paste in the actual URL code you are holding on the clipboard. Et voila, you have created a clean, clickable link in your post.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:40 am

I have tried a couple of time's and it hasn't worked for me. I think because I don't know what you mean by 'clipboard', so I have done a right mouse click/copy then followed yr instructions..

Anyway progress has been made, I have been trying to keep up with all new posts which are highlighted when I log on :thumbup:, I just realised I can click the little red arrow and go to the first unread post...another time saver, great!

Just mentioning in case others hadn't noticed it... :D
Lee

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:27 am

Quote:
There is a little target-looking symbol next to the title of each post.

I cant find it. im in the Hestia Blue format....

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next